Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Often can't select colors for titles, solids, etc

I have had this problem for a long time now so I finally decided it was time to ask the community. When I want to select a color for my titles or solids, FCPx usually doesn't respond. I double click on the color item in my workspace, the Colors tab opens. When I select the color I want in the Color Palettes tab, it usually does not set the title or solid to that specific color. Nothing changes.

Sometimes it does work, I don't know why. So now I usually hand select the color by selecting the color in the dropdown color palette, and then copy it throughout my edit. Or putting the color I need under the title or solid and then use the dropdown color palette to get the color to match best I can.

This issue is driving me crazy! I'm running FCPx on iMac 5K 27 inch 2020, 3,8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8 GB for video. 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 internal memory. This is not a problem I should be having, right?! Please help...

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 5:19 AM

Try deleting the preferences. Corrupt preference files can sometimes cause odd behaviour.

Shut down FCP X and launch it whilst holding down the Command and Option keys.

In the window that appears click "Delete Preferences".

FCP X will open with an empty interface so you will have to navigate to the project you were working on and launch it.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2021 5:19 AM in response to marleen51

Try deleting the preferences. Corrupt preference files can sometimes cause odd behaviour.

Shut down FCP X and launch it whilst holding down the Command and Option keys.

In the window that appears click "Delete Preferences".

FCP X will open with an empty interface so you will have to navigate to the project you were working on and launch it.

Jul 28, 2021 2:40 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Ah, right! This is what I mean when I'm talking about the dropdown color palette, and the one you have in your screen shot is what I get when I'm talking about the one I get when I double click (I just now after years learned that you get this Colors window after clicking it once :') ). I always make sure I select the text before I pick a color. It's another problem, as it also occurs when picking a color for solids. Any idea what this could be?

Jul 28, 2021 4:04 AM in response to marleen51

Since this does not seem to be a common problem, it is possible that something particular to your setup, perhaps a third party system extension or launch agent or daemon, is causing a conflict.

I suggest you run Etrecheck and post its full report here using the additional text button below your message.

Do you have Chrome on this mac? It is known to cause several problems with video applications, maybe it plays a part in this too.

Often can't select colors for titles, solids, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.