Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone color weirdness since 14.7.1 update

I have an iPhone XS Max, and just updated to iOS 14.7.1. Since then my phone colors have been doing strange things. Sometimes the whole screen is inverted, like a photo negative. Sometimes only parts of the screen are affected, such as the background of folders on the same page being different shades of gray. The screen can also flash: starting as inverted for a moment, then flipping to normal. Overall the colors are more saturated than before.

Switching between Light and Dark modes changes colors, but does not normalize things. Initially switching True Tone and Night Shift on and off didn't improve it, but my most recent toggle of True Tone has improved things a bit, at least for now—but some color changes still remain.

Has anyone else experienced such color issues since the update? Is this a known issue with a specific fix? Any suggestions? Will appreciate any feedback.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 8:07 AM

Restarting had not helped—but I found Smart Invert was on. Turning that off appears to have solved the color problem. Thank you so much!

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 29, 2021 7:59 AM in response to zaldar

Hi zaldar,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It's our understanding that colors are inverted on your iPhone XS Max after recently updating. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved! We're here to help.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size> make sure Smart Invert, Classic Invert, and Color Filters are off. If the issue persists, try restarting your iPhone. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors. Restart your iPhone

Let us know the results. Please include any other troubleshooting steps that you may have tried.

Have a great day!

iPhone color weirdness since 14.7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.