Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain passwords won't autofill after migration to new Mac

I have just upgraded from a 2012 MacBook Air to a 2020 MacBook Air and used the migration tool to transfer apps and passwords. When I try to login to sites the credentials pop up from keychain but when I use touchid or my password to select them to autofill nothing happens.

Can you help please?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jul 28, 2021 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 7:57 AM

Hello Gamayun,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are experiencing some issues with autofilling passwords on your Mac using Keychain. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

Just to confirm, are you using the same Apple ID on your new MacBook Air that you were using on your old one? We would recommend checking the steps outlined in the following article that covers some great things to go over if Keychain doesn't seem to be working, including trying to view the passwords stored in your Keychain:

If iCloud Keychain won't turn on or sync

We hope this information helps.

Cheers.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Gamayun

Hello Gamayun,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you are experiencing some issues with autofilling passwords on your Mac using Keychain. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

Just to confirm, are you using the same Apple ID on your new MacBook Air that you were using on your old one? We would recommend checking the steps outlined in the following article that covers some great things to go over if Keychain doesn't seem to be working, including trying to view the passwords stored in your Keychain:

If iCloud Keychain won't turn on or sync

We hope this information helps.

Cheers.

Aug 30, 2021 7:56 PM in response to brianj123

I am in the same boat, I migrated to a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" with OS Big Sur.

I have checked all the steps in the article you referenced with Gamayun and...

• I can see all the items in the keychain and they pop up on the screen on website form fields but when I use TouchID nothing happens
  • Keychain is turned on and all passwords are viewable when I check under Safari > Preferences > Passwords
  • Autofill is turned on in Safari and I'm not private browsing
  • Password Autofill is enabled

What is the solution? Nothing in the various articles you provided works.

Keychain passwords won't autofill after migration to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.