Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Upgrade for Mac Pro 1,1 running Windows 10

Hi, I'm running a Mac Pro 1,1 with 14GB of RAM and an 8 core Xeon X5355. In terms of GPU I have the stock 7300GT for boot and a Quadro NVS 295. The 295 is not exactly a gaming GPU so I was hoping to upgrade the machine. Since I'm running Windows and I have the stock GPU I do not need a flashed GPU. Power was more my concern. I have been thinking of a GT 1030 or a 1650 OC as they do not need external power. Is there a way to get external power to a more powerful GPU, can I buy a new power supply? Ive seen six pins on the motherboard but I thought it was sketchy as its not directly coming from the PSU

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 5:47 AM

Those mini-pin auxiliary power connectors exist for powering GPUs and slightly exceed the standard 6-pin power deliver standard. You can safely pretend each is a 6-pin connector and run anything up to 2x6-pins or 1x8-pin with a dual 6-to-8 adapter without issue.

Note: the Old Mac Pro 1,1 uses PCIe v1.0 so expect some minor frame rate losses from the lower bandwidth.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 5:47 AM in response to MrMcRibYT

Those mini-pin auxiliary power connectors exist for powering GPUs and slightly exceed the standard 6-pin power deliver standard. You can safely pretend each is a 6-pin connector and run anything up to 2x6-pins or 1x8-pin with a dual 6-to-8 adapter without issue.

Note: the Old Mac Pro 1,1 uses PCIe v1.0 so expect some minor frame rate losses from the lower bandwidth.

GPU Upgrade for Mac Pro 1,1 running Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.