Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my 2017 MacBook continuously ejecting Western Digital external hard drive?

After about 2-2 minutes, my MacBook continuously ejects my Western Digital external hard drive. Can someone help me resolve the issue? Below is info on my hardware and software:

Computer: 2017 MacBook

External Hard DriveWestern Digital My Passport Ultra

External Hard Drive SoftwareWD Discovery 4.3.327

MacBook, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 1:12 PM

FWIW, I have used, and still do, a number of WD external USB drives with my Macs and have never had this issue ... but, of course, anything can help.

I can think of, at least, two possibilities why this is happening ... and I'm assuming that you have this drive connected directly to one of your Mac's USB ports, and they are:

1. The drive may be drawing too much power or the port it is connected to is not providing enough.
  2. This particular drive if faulty ... or the USB cable you are using to connect it with is.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2021 1:12 PM in response to hbwilliams22

FWIW, I have used, and still do, a number of WD external USB drives with my Macs and have never had this issue ... but, of course, anything can help.

I can think of, at least, two possibilities why this is happening ... and I'm assuming that you have this drive connected directly to one of your Mac's USB ports, and they are:

1. The drive may be drawing too much power or the port it is connected to is not providing enough.
  2. This particular drive if faulty ... or the USB cable you are using to connect it with is.

Why is my 2017 MacBook continuously ejecting Western Digital external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.