Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Finder on iMac does not display "documents" folder content

Hello,

I am using iMac OSCatalina v 10.15.7.

Since a couple of days my finder does not display the contents of the "documents" folder. The navigation bar displays "documents", but the content is empty. On the screen shot below it displays exactly 1 file (the one that I tried to save after I saw the folder was empty).

I am convinced I did not delete the folder (the trash can doesn't find anything and if I would erroneously deleted all it would have ran for 15-30 minutes to move everything to the bin (which it didn't). Also, I have the impression the files have not disappeared at all, they just don't show: When I open an application like excel, word or powerpoint and I browse in the application /archive/open recent files/ it opens the files without problems (screenshot below):

I tried in finder /preferences/ to remove the "documents" folder from the navigation bar and reinsert it again, but that didn't work. I have the impression something is wrong with the location of the "documents" folder.

I would like to try and avoid restoring from backup, certainly if the files are there.

How can I repair?

Thanks for suggestions.

Best regards,

Steven Van Bauwel

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 4:53 AM

It may be that you enabled Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive.

But, it doesn’t look like it from the SideBar screenshot (the Documents folder would be listed under iCloud Drive.

Regardless, take a look in iCloud Drive.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 30, 2021 7:06 AM in response to stevenvanbauwel

it does not automatically bring back the content to the HD, I had to do that manually - no big deal.

Yes, that has been true since they introduced the feature. I imagine there is a reason, but since you aren't actually downloading the files from the internet (it uses the local copies), it isn't a big deal to just drag them from iCloud to your local folders.

Apple Finder on iMac does not display "documents" folder content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.