Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music.app - Sort albums by Artist/Year - two albums in the same year

Hello,

How can I get the correct sort order if an artist releases two albums in the same year?

I see within this year they are sorted alphabetically,

but the first album begins with S and the second with F!

I could name the albums "1971-1: S-album" and "1971-2: F-album". but this doesn't look nice...

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 9:59 AM

Thanks. I couldn't reboot, because I (always) have too many apps and documents open and arranged and want to keep that.

BUT I tried adding "µ" in front of the later album title and it worked – it sorted it behind the earlier one.

Because I don't like this "µ", I then added "1971-1:" and "1971-2:" in front of the "album > sort as" fields.

Now the albums stay sorted even after I had removed the "µ". That was the trick! : )

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 9:59 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks. I couldn't reboot, because I (always) have too many apps and documents open and arranged and want to keep that.

BUT I tried adding "µ" in front of the later album title and it worked – it sorted it behind the earlier one.

Because I don't like this "µ", I then added "1971-1:" and "1971-2:" in front of the "album > sort as" fields.

Now the albums stay sorted even after I had removed the "µ". That was the trick! : )

Jul 31, 2021 9:29 AM in response to coxorange

To my mind that should work.

You might reboot the Mac and try again. Or better yet, reboot the Mac in safe mode, log in, log out and reboot again normally.

Safe mode is beneficial from time to time. Might try it just because.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

I'm wondering if some data cruft is getting in the way. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Music.app - Sort albums by Artist/Year - two albums in the same year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.