Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Old backups.backupdb on iMac Hard Drive to External Hard Drive

Hi there,

I've been using and external drive for Time Machine for quite some time but didn't do anything with the backups.backupdb folder since 2018. I need to free up space on the internal hard drive. I'd like to either delete the old backup folder or move it to the external hard drive if I shouldn't delete it.

I suspect that I keep getting an error message when trying to upgrade my OS because the software thinks the internal hard drive is also used for Time Machine.

Any advice?

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 10:36 AM

Hi gustadora,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with a folder on your Mac. We'd like to help you with this.

Since you backup to an external drive, it's possible that the folder you're seeing contains local snapshots of your files for days when your external drive wasn't available: About Time Machine local snapshots. If that's what it is, you can go ahead and delete them.

Then, you mentioned that you are getting an error message when trying to upgrade your macOS. What error message are you seeing? Let us know and we can continue to help you with that!

Take care.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2021 10:36 AM in response to gustadora

Hi gustadora,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with a folder on your Mac. We'd like to help you with this.

Since you backup to an external drive, it's possible that the folder you're seeing contains local snapshots of your files for days when your external drive wasn't available: About Time Machine local snapshots. If that's what it is, you can go ahead and delete them.

Then, you mentioned that you are getting an error message when trying to upgrade your macOS. What error message are you seeing? Let us know and we can continue to help you with that!

Take care.

Aug 5, 2021 1:57 PM in response to ColleenD1

Unfortunately, I still can't empty the trash with that backups.backupdb in it - even in Safe Boot Mode.

I'm getting "The operation can't be completed because the "ConfigurationProfiles" is in use." I get that for all these items:

“ConfigurationProfiles” 

“db”

“0”

“zyxvpxvq8csfxvn_n00000y8000007k”

“zz”

“0”

“tnz4zc95834x76r009m3pqn80000gn”

“2q”

“folders”

“var”

“private”

“Macintosh HD”

“2018-03-26-035432”

“monica’s iMac”

“Backups.backupdb”

Also, the HD appears as though it's a Time Machine backup disc but doesn't show up in Time Machine preferences as an option at all.

It's quite odd.

Moving Old backups.backupdb on iMac Hard Drive to External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.