Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete the Backups.backupdb folder?

When I try to upgrade my MacOS it says "this drive is being used for a Time Machine backup". My Time Machine is backing up to an external drive but somehow there is a Backups.backupdb folder on my main internal drive. I cannot find a way to delete or remove this folder from my internal HD. There is no "Move to Trash" option and when I try to change permissions to read & write it says I don't have the necessary permissions.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 2:03 PM

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Any try to remove the Folder

If still not able --->

Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection - Apple ...

And immediately following the removal of the Folder - re-enable SIP

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 2:03 PM in response to obiphat

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Any try to remove the Folder

If still not able --->

Disabling and Enabling System Integrity Protection - Apple ...

And immediately following the removal of the Folder - re-enable SIP

Sep 3, 2022 1:30 AM in response to obiphat

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience  with this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer. 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

How can I delete the Backups.backupdb folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.