Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring messages from an old device to a new one a year later

When I upgraded to my iPhone 8 Plus it didn’t restore my messages but I got everything else, I’ve had the new phone for almost a year now and still have the old one as well as having them both listed on my iCloud account and backed up is there any way to still restore the old messages to my current phone?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2021 6:51 PM

Have you tried setting up Messages syncing in iCloud on both phones?

Messages in iCloud.  

If you can't/don't want to sync Messages using iCloud, you need to restore a backup of the old phone to the new phone. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2021 6:51 PM in response to LadyPhoenix13

Have you tried setting up Messages syncing in iCloud on both phones?

Messages in iCloud.  

If you can't/don't want to sync Messages using iCloud, you need to restore a backup of the old phone to the new phone. Restoring from a backup erases all data currently on your device. Any data newer than when the backup was made will be erased. A restore is an all or nothing restore. You can't access a backup to see the contents and only restore certain files.

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup.    

Restoring messages from an old device to a new one a year later

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.