Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur 11.4 Apple ID Login Loop

I am unable to login on my 2017 27" iMac with my Apple ID. My ID is not locked, and in fact I can login to appleid.apple.com on my iMac from Safari, but not using the dialogue in System Preferences > Apple ID. I have successfully changed my password using my phone, but the problem persists. Of course, since I cannot login with my Apple ID, e-mail is worthless, as are most other services that require authentication to my Apple account. At this point my iMac is a glorified web browser.

Perhaps on a related note, I am also unable to upgrade to the latest Big Sur release, 11.5.1. I have tried and failed to complete the upgrade maybe 10 times, but it simply quits before the process has completed, sometimes after a reboot, and I still stuck on 11.4. My 2TB HD is about half full, so disk space is not an issue. I have tried downloading the installer locally, but that also fails. The upgrade worked great on a recent generation MacBook Air.

I would prefer not to have to wipe and rebuild this desktop from scratch, because it contains the bulk of my music and photo libraries collected over the better part of 20 years. I've read several articles on this issue, but none of the remedies suggested in them have worked. As a long-time Apple user (my first Apple product was a //e purchased in 1984), I have remained steadfastly loyal to the platform, but this issue is trying my allegiance.

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 1:29 PM

Thank you for the reply, P. Phillips. My computer login is fine, so changing it is not necessary.

D.I. Johnson, I previously reset my NVRAM, but that did not fix my problem.

I eventually found a solution to my issue: I reset my keychain password as documented here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/if-you-need-to-update-your-keychain-password-kyca2429/mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 1:29 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the reply, P. Phillips. My computer login is fine, so changing it is not necessary.

D.I. Johnson, I previously reset my NVRAM, but that did not fix my problem.

I eventually found a solution to my issue: I reset my keychain password as documented here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/keychain-access/if-you-need-to-update-your-keychain-password-kyca2429/mac

Aug 1, 2021 9:18 AM in response to aragorn_iii

Hello, aragorn_iii.

I understand you can login to the iMac but from there you have no systemwide access to iCloud services; your Apple ID and password do not appear to work.

• Reboot the iMac. If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer (10 min) to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

You might also try this:

• Reset the NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If neither of these remedies solves the problem, you can do this:

• REINSTALL macOS (NON-DESTRUCTIVELY) - This will reinstall a fresh copy of the OS on top of the current copy without altering your current files and such.

To reinstall macOS as a troubleshooting measure - without deleting user files, documents, pics and vids, etc. – restart your Mac using the key combination Command (⌘)-R until you see the Apple logo. When the macOS Utilities window appears, select "Reinstall macOS" then follow the onscreen instructions.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

NOTE– You should NOT have to erase, delete, format, partition or otherwise alter your startup disk for this. If that appears to become an option, quit the process and restart your Mac. Then come back here for additional advice.

EDIT - Please ensure you have a current and up-to-date backup before you do this... just in case.

Aug 1, 2021 7:58 AM in response to aragorn_iii

The Log In for the Computer is not the same a log in to Apple ID. These are two completely and separate things and perform tow comply actions. Changing your Apple ID password will not change the Computer Password.

To change the Computer Password >>

Reset Computer Password 

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

MacOS Big Sur 11.4 Apple ID Login Loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.