Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Apple ID issues and more

Earlier this week, my MacBook Air (2015 model, refurbished, purchased on Teacher Prime day on Amazon) had an update downloaded and just needed a restart to install. I did this at work (I’m a substitute teacher) and partway through the process everything just stopped. Waited a while before restarting, and once it restarted, it refused to accept my regular login to get into the laptop itself. After several attempts to correct this issue (using all the tips on here), I gave up and erased the disk and reinstalled OS X Yosemite, which was the default system available. Now, I can’t get into any of the websites I usually use because they won’t load properly, and of course the most recent system software won’t work on this model, so I was trying to get the newest one I could to install, but the thing won’t accept my Apple ID’s password. I have changed it several times, even reset it to a different email address, but it will not accept the password no matter what. So now I can’t install Word (which is mostly what I use this for, and I can’t access any of my writing until I do so) because Yosemite isn’t compatible with it.

when I do try to login, I get notifications on my iPad and iPhone and I tell it to allow the login, but then I get the six digit code in the device but the MacBook Air doesn’t pop up a screen to enter the code…

Any ideas? This is driving me mad.

MacBook (2017)

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 2:13 PM

Hi waffyjon,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you had to reinstall macOS Yosemite and you're unable to sign into your apps or Apple ID since reinstalling macOS.

When you sign in with your Apple ID and you're not prompted to enter the verification code, you can add the verification code to the end of your Apple ID password when you sign in.

You may also consider updating your macOS again as well. When you do install the update, it will take some time to install so we'd suggest that you start the update when you're through using your Mac for the evening and allow the installation to complete overnight: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

"Use Software Update

Before following these steps, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings or System Preferences.
    • If you chose System Settings, click General on the left side of the window. Then click Software Update on the right.
    • If you chose System Preferences, click Software Update in the window.
  1. Software Update then checks for new software. 
    • If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it. The button might be named Update Now, Upgrade Now, Install Now, or Restart Now, for example. You might then be asked to enter your administrator password.
    • If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac."

We hope this helps.

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 2:13 PM in response to waffyjon

Hi waffyjon,

Thanks for contacting Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you had to reinstall macOS Yosemite and you're unable to sign into your apps or Apple ID since reinstalling macOS.

When you sign in with your Apple ID and you're not prompted to enter the verification code, you can add the verification code to the end of your Apple ID password when you sign in.

You may also consider updating your macOS again as well. When you do install the update, it will take some time to install so we'd suggest that you start the update when you're through using your Mac for the evening and allow the installation to complete overnight: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

"Use Software Update

Before following these steps, it's a good idea to back up your Mac.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Settings or System Preferences.
    • If you chose System Settings, click General on the left side of the window. Then click Software Update on the right.
    • If you chose System Preferences, click Software Update in the window.
  1. Software Update then checks for new software. 
    • If Software Update finds new software, click the button to install it. The button might be named Update Now, Upgrade Now, Install Now, or Restart Now, for example. You might then be asked to enter your administrator password.
    • If Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, then no new software is currently available for your Mac model. Software Update shows only software that is compatible with your Mac."

We hope this helps.

Take care!

MacBook Air Apple ID issues and more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.