Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air - wrong location in Date & Time and Maps; correct location in browser and iCloud two-factor

I'm on a new Macbook Air M1 updated to Big Sur 11.5.1

I first noticed this issue through Date & Time after setting up my Macbook and installing MacOS. The displayed time was an hour behind, so I went into Date & Time and it said my location is Duncanville, Texas, but I'm actually near Atlanta, GA. I'm not using a VPN, and System Services has been given access to location services.

I updated to the most recent Big Sur and it still says I'm in Duncanville. I opened the Maps app and it says I'm in Dallas County in Texas.

I opened Google Maps on Safari and it shows my real location.

I signed into Apple Support just now and was prompted for two-factor verification on my iPhone. It showed that the login attempt is from my correct location. My iPhone is on the same WiFi and has the correct timezone and correct location in Maps.

What should I do? Why does my Macbook locate me correctly for some apps, but not for time zone detection and Maps?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 3:32 PM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2021 10:50 AM in response to b_ruck

Hi b_ruck,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We're glad you've reached out for help with this inconsistent location information on your MacBook Air. Congratulations on your new computer!

Let's get to the bottom of this together.

To start, let us know if the option to ”Set time zone automatically using current location” is enabled in Apple menu () > System Preferences > Date & Time.

You mentioned that System Services is granted access to location services. If you click on details by System Services, does it show that all options are enabled there?

Here's a guide to help:

Allow apps to detect the location of your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue persists, let us know what happens if you manually set the time zone manually under System Preferences > Date & Time, then restart your Mac and check again.

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

Aug 3, 2021 6:46 AM in response to b_ruck

Hi b_ruck,

Will it be possible to join your MacBook Air to a different Wi-Fi network in order to test if the location updates correctly? Unlike iPhone, which may draw its location from a combination of Wi-Fi, cellular tower triangulation, and GPS, your MacBook may rely on location data provided by its Wi-Fi connection.

If the issue is resolved on another Wi-Fi network, try restarting your home router. It may be necessary to reach out to the manufacturer of the router, or your internet service provider to inquire about configuring the location properly for your Wi-Fi network. You can refer to the following guide for the recommended Wi-Fi router settings:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If the same issue persists across different Wi-Fi networks, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support directly at that point to investigate further. Use the following link to determine your preferred contact method:

Get Support

Take care!

Aug 2, 2021 2:56 PM in response to jcasapple

"Set time zone automatically using current location" is enabled. System Services has access to all of the options under Location Services.

I set the time zone manually and restarted and Maps still says I'm in Texas.

I pulled up Find My through Safari on my Macbook and it shows my Apple Watch and iPhone are where they should be (my true location) but the Macbook's location isn't known. When I pulled up Find My on my iPhone, it says my Macbook is 713 miles away in Dallas, Texas but the two devices are literally side by side.

Macbook Air - wrong location in Date & Time and Maps; correct location in browser and iCloud two-factor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.