Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 cracked screen

I have not dropped my computer or have had exercised pressure on it. I left it opened and came back to see a small crack on the side of the screen. The screen is not working anymore.

Apparently other users have experience the same thing.

I bought my computer about 5months a go.

Has Apple acknowledged hog this as a manufacturing issue yet ? Will I get a full refund for this

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2021 5:27 PM

Imagine getting it as a gift, and using it a total of 20 minutes in two evenings, to be told when brought to the service center that I "should have bought Apple Care." I am disappointed in the product, disappointed in Apple, and disappointed in the snide employee at the Apple Store.

96 replies

Aug 12, 2021 5:13 PM in response to cyrilla192

My husband gave me this as a gift, and I had only used it three times in two days. I closed it up on night two, only to find that the screen was multicolored in the morning. Apple stated to take it to an authorized site. They phoned today to say the screen had an “impact crack” that was not covered by warranty, and the cost to repair would be $688. There was no Impact, and the screen was smooth with no broken glass. I won’t be having it repaired, and will not recommend this product.

Jan 10, 2022 11:26 PM in response to cyrilla192

I have an M1 MacBook Air that is within the warranty period (six months) and cracks have appeared in the screen display, rendering the computer useless.

I purchased it 6 months after it’s release. No effort was made to notice me regarding the many cracked screens that have been reported. I have attached pictures of the computer and screen. Please note that there is no external object damage and the cracks originate from the lower right edge of the screen. It is clear to me that the cracks originate from the insufficient support the frame of the computer provides an overly thin and fragile screen design. I closed the computer, and when I opened it again the cracks were there. 

I contacted Apple Support and was referred to Apple Certified Repair Company Unitek. As predicted, they immediately blamed me for the problem. However, this is my 5th Macbook purchased and I never had a screen issue. I have never placed any objects large or small between the computer keyboard and the screen. 

I have never had an issue with a screen and all the older computers, from 2004, 2009, 2011 have a solid screen whereas the M1 clearly is subject to cracks, bending and other issues caused by a failure to construct a proper frame and screen that is durable.

I bought the M1 because I am unable to upgrade the OS on my 2011 MacBook Pro. The M1 selling point is the new M1 chip manufactured by Apple instead of Intel. I did not realize that Apple changed the construction of the screen. Apple makes the ridiculous claim it is the client’s duty buy additional cases and bags and take extraordinary precautions to protect this fragile device and claims they noticed consumers about this. I was never notified to take additional extraordinary care of this computer. The durability is part of the implied warranty common to all laptop computers.

Aug 27, 2021 2:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Dear Grant,

thanks for your response, yes I was very calm and collected and polite to the staff. The glass is not broken is fully untouched intact and no marks/scratches/dents which would surely be there if an impact of a scale is break the internal display had occurred. Because it happened as I was watching tv on it/ not even touching the screen at the time I was so shocked I googled the issue and found 18 separate articles about this strange issue and also all the other customers on this thread. I am not a chancer/liar trying to save on the fixing fee etc, it’s the principle, I have not damaged it at all and this randomly appeared/happened. I escaped it in store to the manger and also a lodged a formal complaint with Apple on the telephone to which they said someone will review my complaint but may never get back to me! (Their actual words). Very bad, been a loyal Apple customer for 25 years etc. Warm regards :)

Sep 6, 2021 11:52 AM in response to fowlerej

I bought my macbook pro directly from apple online store back in february. I use it everyday with utmost care and precautions because it is expensive and i take care of my precious stuff very carefully.

in mid august, i was doing my work at night and after i finished my work, without shutting down, i put it to sleep and closed the lid neatly. First thing in the morning i saw a crack and discoloration started to form from right bottom corner of the screen. My screen was solid and is still in one piece but it seemed like the crack was formed from inside. I took it to the authorised service center and they said its not covered by warranty due to the external damage and told me that i have to pay a sum of MYR2250 for the screen replacement. I was so furious i called the apple support (like the apple suggest us to do) and told off the guy about my problem. The phone on the other side was changed hands to various people until the last person spoke to he will look into this. They asked for the pictures, called the service center to know more about my macbook condition but still, they cant promise me anything. Im sad, frustrated and extremely angry with how apple handle this situation. I mean, i did not fork out MYR6000+ to have this kind of ****** durability high tech! I hope to hear a good news from the apple support. In the meantime, i would advise friends and family not to buy this line of ****** laptops.

Apr 21, 2022 11:18 PM in response to cyrilla192

Same issue here with my Macbook Pro M1. After 4 months of careful use and wiping down the display from fingerprints and using a soft case when travelling, the screen suddenly shut off. I took it in for repair and even they couldn't diagnose the issue initially, they called and said there is a visible crack on the very edge of the screen, probably caused by a tiny piece of debris. Even at the Apple store the employee pointed out that the design of the laptop is at fault as it provides very little protection unlike older models.

I was quoted €830 for the replacement screen so I'm pretty shocked about this. I would take full ownership if I knew there was a moment where damage was caused by myself on accident. In this case I have no idea and if it gets repaired I'm worried that this would happen again to such a fragile display.

Aug 3, 2021 5:39 PM in response to dominic23

This also happened to me. I keep my M1MacBook Air closed and connected to monitors. I rarely ever even touch the thing. Today after cleaning the dust off of it I noticed a very visible crack appeared in the lower right screen right next to the right hinge on the screen. I took the MBA to a local apple store and the technician implied it was not covered by warranty and that I had to shell out $400 USD to fix the screen. To top it off my camera is now malfunctioning.....

Aug 27, 2021 1:27 PM in response to cyrilla192

My MacBook Air M1 - I have just had the same thing happen to me today, wasn’t touching or near the screen (never dropped or damaged it ever) when the screen went black and a colourful crack inside the screen appeared. Took to Apple store who are pretending not to know about this manufacturing issue/fault. They are trying to charge me £400 instead of replacing it and it is clear that other users on this site have experienced the same thing.

Aug 27, 2021 1:46 PM in response to cyrilla192

You need to look at this from the other direction.

Apple employees are presented with MacBooks with cracked screens every day. When faced with the enormous cost, Owners, almost without exception, have "No Idea how anything could have damaged the screen." Some of these computers have such obvious abuse symptoms such as tire-prints on them after being run over by a car.

The standard policy is "Damage to glass is not a defect covered by Apple warranty against defects in materials or workmanship."

This sort of damage does not generally happen spontaneously. If you want a different answer, you must contact someone at Apple at a much higher pay-grade to make an exception for your specific case. You can start with the store manager, but they have already heard the same story from several irate users this week.

-------

If you made the decision to NOT pay for the AppleCare PLUS extended warranty, you made the decision to bear the cost of repairs during the extended warranty period yourself.

Sep 8, 2021 8:04 AM in response to cyrilla192

There is a small crack on the bottom left corner of my screen. I closed it yesterday and a while later I opened it up again and there it was - a small internal crack with vertical and horizontal lines across the screen! There goes my new M1 Pro! I too have not dropped my MacBook and I have only been using it for a week!!

MacBook Pro M1 cracked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.