Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preventing App Deletion (Screen Time) Not Working

The option in Screen Time to prevent application deletion on my child's device is not working. It is working on his iPad Pro (2021 model), but not on his iPhone 8 Plus. I am using a VPN to prevent the viewing of unsuitable materials, but it seems that all he had to do was go into Airplane Mode, delete the VPN, and then turn Airplane Mode back off.

I looked into this on the VPN support site, and because Apple does not allow the VPN to demand an uninstall code before deletion, the parent must block the ability to uninstall it. I did this earlier, but as I mentioned earlier, the VPN could not be removed from the iPad but could still be removed from the older iPhone.

I have tried the following:

1. Turning the ability to uninstall off and on (several times) with the parent devices.
  2. Doing the same on the Child Device.
  3. Turning off Screen Time and then enabling it from scratch on the Child Devices themselves.

After step 3, not only does preventing uninstallation not work; it also made it so that sharing across devices no longer works. I have tried the following:

1. Set up Screen Time on iPad (Screen Time is active on iPhone with Share Across Devices on but individual settings not yet set up). As soon as I hit Share Across Devices on the iPad, it wipes the settings on the iPad, yet nothing happens on the iPhone.
  2. Set up Screen Time on iPhone (Screen Time is active on iPad with Share Across Devices on but individual settings not yet set up). When I hit Share Across Devices on the iPhone, it nothing happens on the iPad.
  3. Same as (1) but with iPhone Screen Time turned on AFTER setting up the iPad.
  4. Same as (2) but with iPad Screen Time turned on AFTER setting up the iPhone.

I have noticed that on the parent's device that Family Sharing no longer shows my child's name. I will try setting this up from the parent device and then go back to the Child Devices and make adjustments from there if needed.

The problem is though that even when everything was set up from the Parent Device (an iPhone 12 purchased last week), my child's iPhone's Screen Time no longer prevents app removal, but on his iPad, it is fine.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Am I going to have to reset the iPhone?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:48 AM

Settings > Screen Time > Contenet And Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Deleting Apps > [Allow]

There are six possibilities

1. Delete an offloaded App
  2. Delete an App from the Home Screen
  3. Remove an App from the Home Screen - Will be placed in the App Library
  4. Delete an App from the App Library
  5. Delete an inbuilt App - Not feasible
  6. Delete an inbuilt App with one feature - You do not get any options either (e.g. Magnifier)

Watch the GIF

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 1:48 AM in response to zlick41

Settings > Screen Time > Contenet And Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Deleting Apps > [Allow]

There are six possibilities

1. Delete an offloaded App
  2. Delete an App from the Home Screen
  3. Remove an App from the Home Screen - Will be placed in the App Library
  4. Delete an App from the App Library
  5. Delete an inbuilt App - Not feasible
  6. Delete an inbuilt App with one feature - You do not get any options either (e.g. Magnifier)

Watch the GIF

Aug 2, 2021 1:47 AM in response to zlick41

As far as my knowledge goes VPN has nothing to do with Screen Time Restriction where App deletion is disabled.

1. Is this your corporate iPhone? Then please contact the system administrator of your corporate
  2. If it is your personal device, in that case, do you have any profile installed by your corporate/organization/enterprise/School Management?
    1. Erase the profile added by you If you have installed a profile on your own --> Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...
    2. Or please contact the system administrator of the organization who provided the profile to you

Preventing App Deletion (Screen Time) Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.