Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to turn on iClouds Photos without the photos appearing on other connected devices?

Hypothetically, if I want my iPad photos to appear on my iPhone, but I don't want my iPhone photos to appear on my iPad- is there a way to do that?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 5:55 AM

There’s not so much ‘receiving” as “sharing”, and the connection is bi-directional, and a new photo loaded anywhere is loaded everywhere, and a deletion anywhere is a deletion everywhere.

iCloud is a synchronization service.

There are other iCloud-associated synchronization services; this bi-directional sharing (of additions, changes, and deletions) is not limited to Photos.

If you have sensitive data, use a separate Apple ID.

Maybe with Family Sharing and shared albums enabled.

Similar for cases with multiple people (mistakenly) sharing the same Apple ID. Migrate to separate Apple IDs, and enable Family Sharing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 5:55 AM in response to risarisa

There’s not so much ‘receiving” as “sharing”, and the connection is bi-directional, and a new photo loaded anywhere is loaded everywhere, and a deletion anywhere is a deletion everywhere.

iCloud is a synchronization service.

There are other iCloud-associated synchronization services; this bi-directional sharing (of additions, changes, and deletions) is not limited to Photos.

If you have sensitive data, use a separate Apple ID.

Maybe with Family Sharing and shared albums enabled.

Similar for cases with multiple people (mistakenly) sharing the same Apple ID. Migrate to separate Apple IDs, and enable Family Sharing.

Aug 2, 2021 4:39 AM in response to risarisa

Synchronizing and sharing photos across devices is what iCloud Photos provides.

You could disable iCloud Photos on one device, or could use a different Apple ID with or without iCloud photos enabled.

And as sometimes arises within these questions, should there is more than one person involved here, don’t share Apple IDs, as that ends badly.

Is there a way to turn on iClouds Photos without the photos appearing on other connected devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.