Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I have a desktop apple computer that is probably 12 years old. I want to recycle it, how do I delete everything from it first?

I have a desktop computer that is probably 12 years old or even older. I want to recycle it, how do I erase hardware first?

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 3:31 PM

You have two options:

• Upgrade the iMac to OS X El Capitan, then macOS High Sierra. This will allow you to use the Recovery Mode to erase and reinstall macOS. Although, if you upgrade, you might be able to extend this Mac's life since you have such a newer version of macOS installed and it is much more usable. For this path, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then macOS High Sierra: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support.
  • Use the Mac OS X disks to erase and reinstall OS X. If you have these disks, you can erase now without needing to Upgrade.

Let me know which option you'd like to continue with.

Jack

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 3:31 PM in response to annapogoda

You have two options:

• Upgrade the iMac to OS X El Capitan, then macOS High Sierra. This will allow you to use the Recovery Mode to erase and reinstall macOS. Although, if you upgrade, you might be able to extend this Mac's life since you have such a newer version of macOS installed and it is much more usable. For this path, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then macOS High Sierra: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support.
  • Use the Mac OS X disks to erase and reinstall OS X. If you have these disks, you can erase now without needing to Upgrade.

Let me know which option you'd like to continue with.

Jack

Hi I have a desktop apple computer that is probably 12 years old. I want to recycle it, how do I delete everything from it first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.