Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music using lot of data

Recently I noticed that Apple Music took a lot of data. 600 MB is gone in 1 day. Previously it was fine. It used maximum 100 MB per month.

My music settings:

Lossless audio: off

Dolby atmos: off

Automatic downloads: off

Animated album graphics: only on WiFi 

Can please someone help me? Thanks Paul

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 4:57 PM

I have this same issue and I think it is something to do with iOS14.7.

• enabled lossless audio 9th June and noticed huge data use. Changed settings so it only downloaded songs over wifi. Data use was higher than before, but in an acceptable level, so problem fixed.
  • No issues with data use for Apple music through the start-late July
  • I would have updated to iSO14.7 on 22nd July (released 21 July), as at home and on wifi
  • Large data use on Apple Music started 23rd July, with some days using over 1Gb for about 2 hours worth of listening. Only noticed the issue a couple of days ago
  • Have turned off all Lossless, Dolby Atmos and every other setting I can see to try and reduce data use and still using around 25-30Mb per song.

It appears that iOS14.7 is defaulting to Lossless audio even when it is turned off in Settings.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 4:57 PM in response to ___paul___

I have this same issue and I think it is something to do with iOS14.7.

• enabled lossless audio 9th June and noticed huge data use. Changed settings so it only downloaded songs over wifi. Data use was higher than before, but in an acceptable level, so problem fixed.
  • No issues with data use for Apple music through the start-late July
  • I would have updated to iSO14.7 on 22nd July (released 21 July), as at home and on wifi
  • Large data use on Apple Music started 23rd July, with some days using over 1Gb for about 2 hours worth of listening. Only noticed the issue a couple of days ago
  • Have turned off all Lossless, Dolby Atmos and every other setting I can see to try and reduce data use and still using around 25-30Mb per song.

It appears that iOS14.7 is defaulting to Lossless audio even when it is turned off in Settings.

Aug 7, 2021 6:28 AM in response to Shalaxam

I ran a quick test this morning and this is what I found

iPhone 11 Running iOS 14.7.1

My Apple Music settings are:

Cellular Data - On

Cellular Streaming - High Efficiency

Lossless Audio - Off

Dolby Atmos - Automatic

Download over Cellular - Off

Download in Dolby Atmos - On

Atomatic Download - On

Animated Cover Art - Wi-Fi Only

I reset my Cellular data statistic then disabled Wi-Fi and listened to 5 songs over the course of 12 minutes. I listened to each song for 2-3 minutes before skipping to the next song. After I checked the cellular data usage and Apple Music used 104 MB of data. That’s just over 20 MB of data per song or just over 8.5 MB of data per minute. I’m not sure if that’s normal but it sounds pretty high to me.

Apple Music using lot of data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.