Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro’s keyboard and touchpad doesn’t work anymore

Few hours ago my keyboard stopped working from my macbook pro.
I connected an external keyboard and mouse and they work.
Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 1:52 PM

woutera3 Said:

"i have tried both the external keyboard and the keyboard of the macbook. I also tried the boot into safe mode, but no succes. and I don't use a keyboard cover."

-------

Get it serviced.

Take it to a retailer, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). There may be debris below the keyboard.

Contacting an AASP:

So, take to to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 1:52 PM in response to woutera3

woutera3 Said:

"i have tried both the external keyboard and the keyboard of the macbook. I also tried the boot into safe mode, but no succes. and I don't use a keyboard cover."

-------

Get it serviced.

Take it to a retailer, or to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider). There may be debris below the keyboard.

Contacting an AASP:

So, take to to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) seeing if they offer service for this.

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the iPhone

Aug 3, 2021 1:02 PM in response to woutera3

woutera3 Said:

"Macbook pro’s keyboard and touchpad doesn’t work anymore: Few hours ago my keyboard stopped working from my macbook pro. I connected an external keyboard and mouse and they work. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be?"

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. uninstallations), system configurations (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

How old is this MacBook Air? You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty with this. So, if it is covered under warranty, then see if you can get the screen replaced. Ask Apple Support for a new screen.

• Apple Contact Us:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with yo

Aug 3, 2021 1:39 PM in response to woutera3

woutera3 Said:

"Hey, Thank you for the reply. but unfortunately the resets didn't help. the laptop is a macbook pro late 2016."

-------

Use External Keyboard to Reset:

So, did you reset them with the external keyboard?

Boot into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. While in Safe Mode, Login Items do not open at login, certain system preferences are set aside, and damaged system file (i.e. caches) are intentionally fixed.

Using a Keyboards Cover?:

Out of curiosity: Are you using a keyboard cover? If so, do not use one, as water condenses below the keys, eventually killing the LogicBoard.

Macbook pro’s keyboard and touchpad doesn’t work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.