Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup of old device

Hello,

I was looking over my iCloud storage today because I was bored out of my mind and I came upon the backups section. In there, it showed that I had two backups stored. One for my current device and one for my old device. The backup for my old phone was large, close to 10 Gb. I was wondering if it’s necessary for me to keep it considering all that data is on my new phone or if it would be ok for me to delete that backup? Appreciate any help!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 1:15 AM

Yes, you can delete old backups you don't need anymore to clear up some space in iCloud:

Delete backups and turn off iCloud Backup for your device

You can delete old iCloud backups for the device you're currently using, or older devices you may not use anymore. iCloud backups are available for 180 days after you disable or stop using iCloud Backup.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
  2. Tap Manage Storage > Backups. 
  3. Tap the name of the device whose backup you'd like to delete. 
  4. Tap Delete Backup > Turn Off & Delete.

When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Mac

1. Go to Apple menu   > System Preferences > Apple ID, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Manage and select Backups.
  3. Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. If you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud, choose Delete when you're asked to confirm.

When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your device.

Windows PC

1. Open iCloud for Windows.
  2. Click Storage.
  3. Select Backup from the items listed.
  4. Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. If you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud, choose Delete when you're asked to confirm. 

copied from: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 1:15 AM in response to MunishGanorkar

Yes, you can delete old backups you don't need anymore to clear up some space in iCloud:

Delete backups and turn off iCloud Backup for your device

You can delete old iCloud backups for the device you're currently using, or older devices you may not use anymore. iCloud backups are available for 180 days after you disable or stop using iCloud Backup.

iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name], then tap iCloud.
  2. Tap Manage Storage > Backups. 
  3. Tap the name of the device whose backup you'd like to delete. 
  4. Tap Delete Backup > Turn Off & Delete.

When you delete a backup, it also turns off iCloud Backup for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Mac

1. Go to Apple menu   > System Preferences > Apple ID, then click iCloud.
  2. Click Manage and select Backups.
  3. Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. If you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud, choose Delete when you're asked to confirm.

Windows PC

1. Open iCloud for Windows.
  2. Click Storage.
  3. Select Backup from the items listed.
  4. Select one of the device backups, then click Delete. If you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud, choose Delete when you're asked to confirm. 

copied from: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

iCloud backup of old device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.