Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch SE not bright enough in dark environments

Just bought an SE to upgrade from my series 3. All good apart from this issue of the display being to dim in dark environments. It's so dim it's very hard to actually see the time! I looked into this and it seems to be a bit of an issue. The problem is you are not able to disable auto brightness so you're kind of stuck with it. I found other posts on here but couldn't reply as reply was greyed out. One solution, somewhat comically, was to take out your phone, enable the flashlight and point it at your watch to get it to brighten up!! That's not really good enough. What's the go here?! I've sent feedback to Apple. I think if you could just disable auto brightness, like you can with iOS, it would be fine.

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 11:43 PM

I ended up taking it back today and getting a refund. If it's a 'feature request' that you can see the display in dark places then it's not rally fit for purpose as is. The shop agreed and gave me a full refund. I've gone back to my Series 3 for now. The OS update continually fails because there's not enough storage space, which I now think was a good thing in case the update invalids my Watch to behave like the SE. I'll buy another one (maybe) once Apple sort this out ;-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2021 11:43 PM in response to Eric--F

I ended up taking it back today and getting a refund. If it's a 'feature request' that you can see the display in dark places then it's not rally fit for purpose as is. The shop agreed and gave me a full refund. I've gone back to my Series 3 for now. The OS update continually fails because there's not enough storage space, which I now think was a good thing in case the update invalids my Watch to behave like the SE. I'll buy another one (maybe) once Apple sort this out ;-)

Aug 4, 2021 5:45 PM in response to Dogboy73

Hello Dogboy73,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the brightness on your Apple Watch.

You can change the brightness of your Apple Watch by following the steps here in Adjust brightness, text size, sounds, and haptics on Apple Watch

If you are unable to change your display settings to the desired settings, Update your Apple Watch

If there is a feature that is missing that you would like to add to Apple Watch settings, you can provide Feedback here.

Have a great day!

Apple Watch SE not bright enough in dark environments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.