Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Window of unknown source

Help! I have a small window that appears a short time after I start up that I can't get rid of any other way except by restarting. It's all gray with "Passwords..." at the top. When I hover, the top part (like the menu bar area) turns blue, but nothing else happens at all. The only time it allows anything else to cover it is when I take a streaming app like Hulu fullscreen. It even stays in place if I present in Keynote or PPT. I'm running a Mac Mini M1 2020 with MacOS Big Sur v11.4

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 5:51 AM

Hello, Ohiomusicman.

It sounds like something is confused or hung up in the OS.

Reboot your Mac and see if the problem is cleared. If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem persists, I'd next recommend that download and run Malwarebytes.  It’s a safe and recommended utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The application scans for adware and malware and is a popular tool among veteran users here in the Community. See if it can identify any malware you may have unintentionally installed. The free version is probably all you need at this point.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 5:51 AM in response to Ohiomusicman

Hello, Ohiomusicman.

It sounds like something is confused or hung up in the OS.

Reboot your Mac and see if the problem is cleared. If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem persists, I'd next recommend that download and run Malwarebytes.  It’s a safe and recommended utility from a trusted developer and respected ASC contributor. The application scans for adware and malware and is a popular tool among veteran users here in the Community. See if it can identify any malware you may have unintentionally installed. The free version is probably all you need at this point.

Window of unknown source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.