Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen code screen LED blur on black backgrounds?

Does anyone else notice when the background color is full black (#000000) there is a blur around any other figures or shapes? is this normal or a defective screen? it looks to me like the mini LEDs are turning on but they are turning on in zones around .3-.4 inches away from an other object on the screen that isn’t black.

i tested this in procreate and when i make the background #030303 it seems to activate all the leds in the screen and the “blur” goes away, is this true for all screens like this or does mine have a problem? R

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 2:35 AM

What you describe is entirely normal - and for the most part, will only be visible in a dark environment. In normal ambient lighting conditions, this effect is unlikely to be visible.

You new iPad uses an entirely different backlight technology. Instead of edge backlighting - that evenly illuminates the entire screen - the new mini-LED backlight panel has 10,000 individual LEDs divided into 2,500 dimming zones. Each dimming zone illuminates the corresponding area of the LCD screen pixels. As such, each of the 250 dimming zones covers many pixels.

What you are seeing is a halo effect. On dark backgrounds, the surrounding LEDs in the surrounding zones may be switched off - but the pixels illuminated by the active LED zones (including “dark” pixels) are fully illuminated. As such, you may see this halo effect as a side effect of showing very high-contrast images.

The older LCD screen technology, with edge backlighting, evenly illuminated the entire screen - including the “dark” pixels - hence no halo effect. This screen technology has a limited contrast range.

For OLED screens, such as those used in some models of iPhone, there os no backlight; individual pixels are their own light source.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 2:35 AM in response to dfasfewffeasdf

What you describe is entirely normal - and for the most part, will only be visible in a dark environment. In normal ambient lighting conditions, this effect is unlikely to be visible.

You new iPad uses an entirely different backlight technology. Instead of edge backlighting - that evenly illuminates the entire screen - the new mini-LED backlight panel has 10,000 individual LEDs divided into 2,500 dimming zones. Each dimming zone illuminates the corresponding area of the LCD screen pixels. As such, each of the 250 dimming zones covers many pixels.

What you are seeing is a halo effect. On dark backgrounds, the surrounding LEDs in the surrounding zones may be switched off - but the pixels illuminated by the active LED zones (including “dark” pixels) are fully illuminated. As such, you may see this halo effect as a side effect of showing very high-contrast images.

The older LCD screen technology, with edge backlighting, evenly illuminated the entire screen - including the “dark” pixels - hence no halo effect. This screen technology has a limited contrast range.

For OLED screens, such as those used in some models of iPhone, there os no backlight; individual pixels are their own light source.

Aug 5, 2021 9:50 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the info. For a person like me who works on black backgrounds, visits pages with black backgrounds, reads white text on black backgrounds, work on images with black backgrounds, ad nauseam: the effect is noticeable basically at all times even if it’s minimal. I tested this out with a friend and they didn’t have as adverse of a reaction as myself so it does seem to be on an individual basis, nonetheless, I cannot work with it so I’ll be swapping in for the 11” model that doesn’t have the same screen tech.

Aug 5, 2021 10:20 AM in response to dfasfewffeasdf

Choosing an iPad model that uses a “standard” LCD display will indeed remove the halo effect that you see with white against a full-black background. The haloing is an unavoidable characteristic of zoned-dimming in miniLED screens. It should be noted that this technology substantially improves power efficiency, as the screen backlight is a major power consumer.

In common with all devices that use a “standard” LCD, in a dark room, you will instead see a general “bloom” across the entire display that reduces overall contrast.

Should iPad ever enjoy an OLED screen, you will benefit from both improved power efficiency and no haloing (as each pixel is a “point” light source). However, OLED technology does have other significant limitations…

iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen code screen LED blur on black backgrounds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.