Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make WiFi Calling Default- iPhone

Not a question, just a comment. In order to make WiFi calling he default on your iPhone, turn airplane mode on, then turn the WiFi on. While in airplane mode, phone will not attempt to connect to cell towers but will still use WiFi.

Just don’t forget to turn airplane mode off when you leave the WiFi coverage zone.

I see a lot of people ask the question. Hope this helps.

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 9:17 AM

Airplane mode on or off, WiFi call is available to you if this feature is enabled by your carrier.

Your carrier may restrict WiFi calls through some WiFi networks. Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need an iPhone 5c or later on a supported carrier.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Anita94521

Airplane mode on or off, WiFi call is available to you if this feature is enabled by your carrier.

Your carrier may restrict WiFi calls through some WiFi networks. Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need an iPhone 5c or later on a supported carrier.

Aug 13, 2021 2:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I see the same behavior as Anita. It is a real nuisance and I start calls on cell that I have to end because of terrible quality. I then disable cell and WI-FI calling works great but I forget to turn cell back on when I leave the house. I posted a suggestion somewhere on this forum that Apple add an option to Prefer WIFI over cell for calls for given/configurable SSIDs so we could control which ones the calls would be routed through - namely at home. I cannot find that thread so maybe it was removed.

Aug 6, 2021 4:43 PM in response to SravanKrA

Just to clarify, WiFi Calling is available whether in airplane mode or not. However, if there is even a minimal cell tower signal, the phone will use the cell service rather than WiFi. This is an annoyance for those who live in locations with weak cellular service and can result in dropped or muffled / distorted calls.

When airplane mode is turned on and WiFi is also turned on, the phone is forced to use the WiFi calling. If the user has reasonable WiFi service with little or no latency, the calls will be much clearer with little or no problem making the phone call or receiving the phone call.

The use of WiFi calling only in weak cellular coverage areas is advantageous.

Make WiFi Calling Default- iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.