Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic keyboard usable when not physically attached to iPad Pro?

Can I use an iPad Pro with a magic keyboard _without_ magnetically attaching the keyboard? In other words, the keyboard is completely flat and the iPad is on a stand sitting on top of the back piece section of the keyboard.

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 4:33 PM

Magic Keyboard is generic name used by Apple to market a whole family of Apple keyboards. I presume that you refer to the Magic Keyboard for iPad?

The Magic Keyboard for iPad is specifically designed for the 2018/2020/2021 models of iPad Pro - and the 2020 iPad Air.

Unless coupled together, the Magic Keyboard cannot communicate with the iPad.

The Magic Keyboard for iPad does not connect wirelessly - but instead connects to iPad electrically using the Smart Connector - this being three contacts on the back of the iPad and Keyboard. The Magic Keyboard for iPad has no battery or internal source of power. Magnets hold the iPad in physical contact with the Magic Keyboard - ensuring that the iPad is aligned with the Smart Connector contacts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 4:33 PM in response to teredwar

Magic Keyboard is generic name used by Apple to market a whole family of Apple keyboards. I presume that you refer to the Magic Keyboard for iPad?

The Magic Keyboard for iPad is specifically designed for the 2018/2020/2021 models of iPad Pro - and the 2020 iPad Air.

Unless coupled together, the Magic Keyboard cannot communicate with the iPad.

The Magic Keyboard for iPad does not connect wirelessly - but instead connects to iPad electrically using the Smart Connector - this being three contacts on the back of the iPad and Keyboard. The Magic Keyboard for iPad has no battery or internal source of power. Magnets hold the iPad in physical contact with the Magic Keyboard - ensuring that the iPad is aligned with the Smart Connector contacts.

Magic keyboard usable when not physically attached to iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.