Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are video files able to play in full with Photos slideshows anymore?

I've been making slideshows in Photos for years but had an older Macbook Pro and hadn't updated it in a long time. Using a new 2020 Pro now and I've been trying to create a slideshow but the video files are playing as if they're a still photo. When a video comes on, it plays a second of the clip only. I did a search on this and I know it's been asked a couple times but there weren't any answers except for one that said that only the "classic" slideshow option would now allow play full length videos so I tried that but it still truncates the videos. I haven't rendered a video yet and have only previewed so I don't know if it just can't preview but I can't imagine that would solve anything as the preview option previews the videos to the time duration that one sets. Anyway, if anyone knows a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. If they've limited the ability for Photos to handle slideshow capabilities in this way, is there a good alternative besides iMovie? I don't feel like having to manually create all those transitions and things like Ken Burns effects on every photo file. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 12:02 PM

Hi

Classic is still working for me in Big Sur 11.4., showing the full length of a video clip.

However, if I want to mix slideshow and video I always use Imovie. What I have done in the past is create image slideshows with Photos, export them, and then cut them together with video clips using iMovie. That way you don't have to manually transition all the photos.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 12:02 PM in response to kn_97

Hi

Classic is still working for me in Big Sur 11.4., showing the full length of a video clip.

However, if I want to mix slideshow and video I always use Imovie. What I have done in the past is create image slideshows with Photos, export them, and then cut them together with video clips using iMovie. That way you don't have to manually transition all the photos.

Aug 5, 2021 2:49 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you for your comment. I'm using 11.4 as well. I just checked to see if it was a MP4 problem but wasn't.

Went back and re-opened this slide show/project and tried it out in Classic and it worked! Now, I know it wasn't working when I tried it last night but I first selected Ken Burns and previewed and then switched to Classic w/o closing the project. Classic was doing the same thing with the truncated vids. So, for me, it seems like attempting something before Classic locks in the video problem until it's closed and reopened.

Ah, that's a good idea with the photo only slideshow export and import into iMovie if I wanted to use something like K. Burns. Maybe I'll try that out on a project in the future where I'll have less videos. On this particular one, there's 70 vids and 172 photos.

Appreciate it again. Thanks!

If anyone ever figures out how to use the other themes with their full length video files again, please share.

Are video files able to play in full with Photos slideshows anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.