You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2019 15" screen flickering on external montior when having 1440p with 144Hz or above (M27Q)

I recently got a new M27Q monitor and it is wonderful as it can operate highest in 1440P / 170 Hz thus having KVM ability. It supports HDMI/ DP & type C connection. So I ordered a thunderbolt 4.0 cable and connect the monitor to my MBP.

However, when i tried to change to 144Hz 156Hz 170Hz the M27Q monitor started to show flickering with yellow and purple strips and basically couldnt run on it whatsoever. It has the option for me to select but they are not able to have proper screen. The maximum settings i can go for is 120Hz with 1440p. I really donno why it has such problem and i tried searching it up yet i have no clue.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

When i use HDMI-Type C im able to get 1440p with 144 Hz max, yet, i have to connect the keyboard and mouse with a separate cable which the typeC thunderbolt cable solve all these problem. Thats the reason why im trying to make the type c connection work.

The Macbook pro im using is

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Memory: 16 GB

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:52 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Aug 6, 2021 3:01 PM in response to chris9221ggre

Hey, Chris,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities to get help with your external display. We understand it doesn't look the way you expect, and you can't adjust the resolution. We are happy to help!

First, take a look through Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support to make sure your display and Mac meet the requirements necessary to work together and that everything is set up correctly.

Then, use the steps in If your external display isn't detected or appears blurry on your Mac - Apple Support. Even though the title doesn't explicitly discuss your issue, the steps can still address what you're experiencing.

Cheers!

Macbook Pro 2019 15" screen flickering on external montior when having 1440p with 144Hz or above (M27Q)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.