Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Release dates of music files changing after editing

I've been going through and updating the metadata in my iTunes/Music library. For things like "Best Of" albums I like to have the individual songs have their original release date so if I make a playlist of 80s music it finds all songs from those years and doesn't exclude something of the era from a compilation album released in the 2000s.

I've been finding that when I go back into Music some time later, the release dates have changed back to the original. To make it harder to track down, it doesn't seem to happen all the time or to every song on an album.

Anybody else getting this issue?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 11:28 AM

Is it only purchased tracks that are affected? See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Mac - Apple Community.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 10, 2021 5:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks very much for that. It's not a permissions issue, but some of the other info in that post sounds like what I have been experiencing. I've started to back up files as I change them through Music and then check the recording date outside the app to make sure it's taken. I'm also converting all MP3 to AAC in the hope that this solves all tag issues. I am finding that purchased items that had their date changed do occasionally revert when I again access the file, so I will see if they start to hang onto those changes better now.

Release dates of music files changing after editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.