Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else experiencing wifi 6 issue with the M1 Mini?

I've been using a new Mac Mini M1 for the past couple of months and use a Netgear Nighthawk RAX10 WiFI 6 capable router. The mini keeps dropping the wifi 6 signal. The 2.4 bandwidth seems stable. I was able to update the HomePod Mini using 2.4 without drops. This has been an issue since I got the computer about two months ago but have not had a chance to troubleshoot until now.

What I have done: move/adjust the location of the router (less than thirty feet away), reboot the mini and the router, created another network in network settings on the mini, rebooted mini several times.

None of this worked. Is anyone else experiencing wifi 6 issue with the M1 Mini?

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 2:50 PM

The Mac Mini’s wireless chip is in the back and the antenna is built into the bottom cover. With that in mind, poorly shielded (USB-C, USB 3.0, Display) cables and devices can cause Wi-Fi issues.

Please have a look at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Similar questions

33 replies

Aug 9, 2021 9:09 AM in response to troyfromakron

Dedicated monitor > great! Noise > non-existent! That’s the good news. But, -64 RSSI signal is barely passable, assuming the router is in the same room. RSSI should be in the mid 50s or better (low 50s, upper 40s even) and the Tx rate should be ~1300.

Where do we go from here?

• see if the problem improves if other equipment like AC/music system/ is switched off
  • see if the problem improves if you move the router and mini to another room (you’ll need to run a long Ethernet cable to connect the router to your ISP)
  • treat it as a Netgear hardware issue - contact Netgear and see if they’ll swap the router or check/repair for proper 5G operation
  • treat it as a mini hardware issue - schedule Genius repair appointment and have them do likewise

The sequencing is up to you. Let us know it goes.

Aug 6, 2021 8:10 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you for the reply! The location of the chip and antenna is useful to know. I read cables can interfere if next to the router but my router is a little over 20 ft. away without major obstructions. I'm going to place the mini on the otherwise of the monitor (closer to the router) and see if that helps. I guess I could also try one of those stand that orients the mini vertically with the bottom exposed and see if that helps? The wifi 6 signal works over 5g so I'm wondering if it's the distance since the 5g network does not transmit as far as 2.4 (not that 20 ft. is so far even for 5g).

Aug 7, 2021 7:02 AM in response to troyfromakron

You're welcome.

I first encountered Wi-Fi interference issues with a new 2012 Mac Mini while using high speed USB 3.0 cables and drives. The 2012 replaced a 2010 Mac Mini USB 2.0, that never had a single Wi-Fi issue. That and a second 2012 Mac Mini would connect just fine and have a good signal, until you plugged USB 3.0 drives into them. My latest 2018 Mac Mini acts about the same while using USB 3.0 and USB-C cables and drives.

Thanks for reporting back, because it can and will help others with the same issue.

Aug 7, 2021 7:53 AM in response to den.thed

FWIW, no such issues on my flatly-place mini; easily get stable 1 Gbps, even 1.3 with USB3 drive plugged in.

That said, USB3 interference with WiFi is a known issue for 2.4 GHz as is distance limitation for 5 GHz. That’s true Apple or Orange or Mango. Fact is, there’s no easy generalization for WiFi issues, they all need to be worked and improved upon individually. If I recall correctly, your router’s placed in a faraway closet where your internet connection is. Seewhatimean? It’s different for everyone.

Aug 9, 2021 8:52 AM in response to hcsitas

Hi hcsitas, Thank you for your follow-up on this issue. I uploaded a screenshot. It shows it's connected (as usual) but wifi stops working. Sometimes clicking on the wifi icon at the top of the screen helps but not always, but it always shows connected.

The monitor is the HP Envy 27-Inch UHD 4K IPS Monitor with Micro-Edge Bezel and AMD Freesync (Black).

Aug 9, 2021 9:20 AM in response to hcsitas

All good next-steps. I've been able to monitor stability by moving the machine to the other side of the monitor and it seems to be okay, but it's only been about a half hour. It will be okay for a while then just randomly disconnects, then connects for a short time (like a minute) then disconnects, and continues like that. The RSSI is -58-59 with the mini placed on the other side of the monitor. Out of all of the trouble shooting so far, relocating the machine has had the most impact on maintaining a connection.

Aug 9, 2021 9:39 AM in response to hcsitas

RSSI is down to -57-56 now. Thank you for explaining what that indicator means. I know what some mean but.... It's been about an hour now and no drop-outs yet. If it's the router, I'm going to be very disappointed as it's only six months old. I do research and it's very irksome when I'm gathering information on-line, transmitting document revisions, or the rare video conference (still met in person), and a drop-out happens.

I'm going to mark this as helpful and come back to change it to solved if it stays connected.

Thank you for all of your help so far!

Aug 9, 2021 10:06 AM in response to den.thed

Believe it or not (keeping in mind your post), moving the machine (maybe two feet) to the other side of the monitor (closer to the direction the wifi is coming from) helped!-- so far. In my case, instead of poor usb-c shielding, it seems like the wireless chip location was just enough out of reach to not get a stable connection.

It's like the "rabbit ear" antenna for tv's. Moving the arms up/down, or relocating from one side to the other could make a huge difference in reception quality!

Between you and hcsitas, I'm hoping the issues has been resolved if not reduced. I'm still planning on followers up with Netgear about a firmware update.

Is anyone else experiencing wifi 6 issue with the M1 Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.