Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble syncing notes between iPhone and MacBook

If I create a new note or add to an existing note on my MacBook, it will show up on my phone, but anything I create or edit on my phone doesn't show up on my MacBook. I've double-checked and they are both connected to the same iCloud (my iCloud is full, if that makes a difference-- I have the free 5GB, but it has been full for years and I have't had issues syncing in the past) and the notes giving me trouble are all created under the "iCloud" banner, as opposed to Gmail or the like.

The only workaround I have managed is opening the iPhone note I want synced near my computer, and when the little iPhone notes bubble pops up on the dock, I click it, and it updates that same note on my Mac. Interestingly enough, it doesn't change the date to the iPhone's most recent edit, but keeps the same date as when I last edited it on the Mac.

What I haven't done is delete and reinstall my iCloud because it just seems like a pain (plus I don't want to lose things), so I was wondering if there are any other methods I should try/settings I should look for. Anyone have any advice to save me from this frustration?

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 5:07 PM

Great suggestions, faith185! Wifi or data made no difference to the problem, so I went ahead and attempted disabling iCloud notes, first on my phone, then on my computer. I think all my notes are stored only on iCloud, because disabling iCloud resulted in my Notes app being completely emptied. When I re-enabled iCloud, it reloaded all my notes... up to a certain date. The phone still wouldn't sync, either. The certain date thing seemed suspicious, so I went to my iCloud and cleared it out best I could-- got it under the 5GB limit-- and voila! Suddenly everything is syncing again. I'm glad it's working, but it's annoying that everything seems to hinge on iCloud storage now.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 5:07 PM in response to faith185

Great suggestions, faith185! Wifi or data made no difference to the problem, so I went ahead and attempted disabling iCloud notes, first on my phone, then on my computer. I think all my notes are stored only on iCloud, because disabling iCloud resulted in my Notes app being completely emptied. When I re-enabled iCloud, it reloaded all my notes... up to a certain date. The phone still wouldn't sync, either. The certain date thing seemed suspicious, so I went to my iCloud and cleared it out best I could-- got it under the 5GB limit-- and voila! Suddenly everything is syncing again. I'm glad it's working, but it's annoying that everything seems to hinge on iCloud storage now.

Aug 7, 2021 11:40 AM in response to Appleboxes

Hello Appleboxes,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your notes sync from your MacBook to your iPhone but not the other way around.

Does this happen particularly when your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi, cellular data or both? That can help rule out any issues with syncing via a particular network.

Rather than signing out as you mentioned, try disabling iCloud Notes on your Mac and iPhone, then enable again. Check out Turn iCloud features on or off. This is not designed to delete any information stored on your Mac or iPhone but while temporarily disabled you would only be able to see notes created on the device you're viewing.

Have a great day!

Trouble syncing notes between iPhone and MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.