Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone audio cutting out during call

This issue started a couple weeks ago for no apparent reason. When I’m on a call, the call is normal, until about 15-20 min in. All of a sudden, I can’t hear the person on the other end of the line anymore. The call is still connected. They can hear me (I would learn later), but I can no longer hear them. The only way to continue the call is to hang up and call again. This happens about 80% of the time when I have a call 15 min or longer. This happens both when I’m using WiFi calling and when I am not. It happens when I have WiFi assist turned on, and when I don’t have it turned on.

I have tried:

-restarting my iphone

-taking out and putting back in the sim card

-resetting network settings

-resetting all settings

-installing the latest Apple update

-checking for the latest carrier update (there’s none)

-testing my microphone (it’s fine)

-restarting the phone again

-calling the cell carrier (they said it’s an Apple problem)

help.

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Hi. I am having the exact phone on my iPhone 11. I use Wi-Fi assisted calling quite often because my signal is so low at my house. I lose the callers audio intermittently, but they can hear me fine. When I go to hang up and call back, many time I have to restart my phone to be able to make the call out again. I’ve searched for solutions, but haven’t come up with any. I’m on AT&T’s network, and would like to upgrade to a 13 soon, but am hesitant to do so because I’m not sure if this is a phone problem or a carrier problem. Since the caller can hear me, it seems like a phone issue.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Sharon_419

Hi. I am having the exact phone on my iPhone 11. I use Wi-Fi assisted calling quite often because my signal is so low at my house. I lose the callers audio intermittently, but they can hear me fine. When I go to hang up and call back, many time I have to restart my phone to be able to make the call out again. I’ve searched for solutions, but haven’t come up with any. I’m on AT&T’s network, and would like to upgrade to a 13 soon, but am hesitant to do so because I’m not sure if this is a phone problem or a carrier problem. Since the caller can hear me, it seems like a phone issue.

Aug 7, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Pebbles0353

Hey there Pebbles0353,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand you've had some issues with your phone calls incoming audio around the same times during each call. You've done some great troubleshooting and steps so far!

It sounds like this may be an issue with a Bluetooth device possibly taking over the conversation. Check out the steps here to bypass Bluetooth devices: Set up and listed to Bluetooth devices on iPhone - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing your results.

Take care!

Aug 12, 2021 10:24 AM in response to Pebbles0353

Hello Pebbles0353,

Thanks for letting us know your progress.

Based on everything you've tried so far, there are some other steps you can try. The first would be to check for any third-party apps that you may be using while on the calls and check if they are attempting to take over the audio.

Next, try cleaning all of the ports of your iPhone to see if there is any debris in the microphones with the steps here: Cleaning your iPhone - Apple Support

From there remove any cases you may have on the iPhone or protective film to see if they are shifting and covering your microphone.

If you still need help, you may want to have your hardware inspected. Apple Support can assist you with setting up a reservation or looking into any other options for you here: Get Support - Apple

We hope you have a great day!

Cheers!

Phone audio cutting out during call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.