Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My home wifi shows "weak security" on my iPhone 8

What is my home wifi saying "weak security"? This has not happened before. Also, one of my apps is asking me to check my connection or find faster network. This is my regular wifi account and my iMac computer has no connectivity problem at all. I tried to reach Xfinity (my provider) and they were not available nor helpful at all.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2021 7:59 PM

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2021 7:59 PM in response to Nitzafromor

This is NOT an iPhone problem; it is a problem with your router settings.

A "Weak Security" notification means that your Wi-Fi router is not configured correctly. There is a new feature in iOS 14 that checks and displays a message if your router is not using the most up-to-date security settings. Note that your router has always had weak security, you just didn’t know about it until now. 

See this Apple support article for how to configure it correctly—>Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support, specifically the section headed Security. And don't forget to configure your range extenders (if any) also!

Note also that weak security does not interfere with using Wi-Fi, it is just a warning. Your Wi-Fi should still work normally, and, if it doesn’t, it is not because of the weak security message.

Aug 6, 2021 8:32 PM in response to Nitzafromor

Nitzafromor Said:

'My home wifi shows "weak security" on my iPhone 8: What is my home wifi saying "weak security"? This has not happened before. Also, one of my apps is asking me to check my connection or find faster network. This is my regular wifi account and my iMac computer has no connectivity problem at all. I tried to reach Xfinity (my provider) and they were not available nor helpful at all."

-------

Encryption is the Culprit:

You are getting this prompt because your router is using WPA2 for the router's encryption protocol, which is no longer secure. So, either reconfigure your router's settings to be using WPA3, or upgrade to a new router that supports WPA3. Older devices may not support WPA3. So, it would have to have WPA2/WPA3 open for use. Without getting too technical here, look at the user guide of your router, for more on configuring this.

My home wifi shows "weak security" on my iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.