Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tether iPhone to Linksys Velop AX4200 USB for home internet

Hi

Is it possbile to tether an iPhone to a Linksys Velop AX4200 via the USB port and then use this as my primary internet source for the wifi in my house using my mobile data?

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:32 PM

The info I can see says that Velop AX4200 can use USB for hard disk.. nothing else is listed. Took ages to even find the manual.. but here is direct quote

USB 3.0 port— Connect and share USB drives on your network. For local file sharing only (no FTP, media server or virtualUSB support). Also, not intended for sharing peripherals such as printers, scanners or cameras.

My guess would be NO.. sharing a phone as internet modem aint gonna happen.

The setup of MX4200 can possibly be changed from main router to access point and use a suitable dual wan router with provision for phone connection.. e.g. Asus often supports this.. but seldom on iPhones... mostly with Android.. as you can guess Apple doesn't like people poking around the interior of their phone firmware.

A likely NOT viable solution but one that would work is to tether the phone to a Mac and share that connection via ethernet port to the VELOP. Many "happy" hours of configuration I predict will be required.

Otherwise do the smart thing. Buy a 4g/5g router and put a sim in it for the cheapest/best network in your area.. plug by ethernet to your velops.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 7:32 PM in response to TCAppleSupport

The info I can see says that Velop AX4200 can use USB for hard disk.. nothing else is listed. Took ages to even find the manual.. but here is direct quote

USB 3.0 port— Connect and share USB drives on your network. For local file sharing only (no FTP, media server or virtualUSB support). Also, not intended for sharing peripherals such as printers, scanners or cameras.

My guess would be NO.. sharing a phone as internet modem aint gonna happen.

The setup of MX4200 can possibly be changed from main router to access point and use a suitable dual wan router with provision for phone connection.. e.g. Asus often supports this.. but seldom on iPhones... mostly with Android.. as you can guess Apple doesn't like people poking around the interior of their phone firmware.

A likely NOT viable solution but one that would work is to tether the phone to a Mac and share that connection via ethernet port to the VELOP. Many "happy" hours of configuration I predict will be required.

Otherwise do the smart thing. Buy a 4g/5g router and put a sim in it for the cheapest/best network in your area.. plug by ethernet to your velops.

Tether iPhone to Linksys Velop AX4200 USB for home internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.