Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMessages be subpoenaed from my cell carrier or Apple?

I'm taking someone to court and I'm wondering if Imessages can be subpoenaed from my cell carrier or Apple. Don't need the content just the date and time and who sent it.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 10:34 AM

Your carrier doesn’t know anything about iMessages, only SMS. And they don’t have the content of SMS messages, only the metadata (who and whom). If you sync messages to iCloud Apple can be forced to provide access to your iCloud account, but only for criminal procedures with warrants. However, you can be required to provide the contents of messages under Discovery. For this consult your attorney.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 10:34 AM in response to Swaevye

Your carrier doesn’t know anything about iMessages, only SMS. And they don’t have the content of SMS messages, only the metadata (who and whom). If you sync messages to iCloud Apple can be forced to provide access to your iCloud account, but only for criminal procedures with warrants. However, you can be required to provide the contents of messages under Discovery. For this consult your attorney.

Aug 7, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Swaevye

Backed up or synced. There is a big difference. You make a backup by turning on iCloud Backups in Settings/[your name]/iCloud.

You sync by going to the same place, but turning on Messages. If messages was ever on then it will “remember” all messages that were synced, unless you delete them from the phone.

But if an action has been initiated then deleting anything could be considered destruction of evidence, so consult your attorney before doing anything.

Can iMessages be subpoenaed from my cell carrier or Apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.