Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting faulty video output

I was given a A1708 macbook pro and was told that if I could fix it I could keep it but cannot figure out if the issue I'm having is a broken screen or possible video chipset issue. Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 10:46 PM

Navyjam Said:

"Troubleshooting faulty video output: I was given a A1708 macbook pro and was told that if I could fix it I could keep it but cannot figure out if the issue I'm having is a broken screen or possible video chipset issue. Any help would be appreciated."

-------

Try External Video:

See if you can connect this to an external view device (i.e. TV or projector), seeing if you get the sam issue. If you do, its likely a configuration error. If not, then is it a hardware error (in which case, you'd have to get the external screen replaced). If there is no HDMI port on your computer, then user this adapter: Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2021 10:46 PM in response to Navyjam

Navyjam Said:

"Troubleshooting faulty video output: I was given a A1708 macbook pro and was told that if I could fix it I could keep it but cannot figure out if the issue I'm having is a broken screen or possible video chipset issue. Any help would be appreciated."

-------

Try External Video:

See if you can connect this to an external view device (i.e. TV or projector), seeing if you get the sam issue. If you do, its likely a configuration error. If not, then is it a hardware error (in which case, you'd have to get the external screen replaced). If there is no HDMI port on your computer, then user this adapter: Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - Apple

Troubleshooting faulty video output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.