Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers table

How can I rotate information in a cell?

I have seen the rotate option in the arrange section of format, but it doesn't do anything.

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 11:44 AM

Here's another screen shot showing the same table as above.

I've moved one of the text boxes, reset its rotation to 0°, and returned it to more or less its initial state to make it easier to see. that it is not part of the table. The box is selected (note the two handles, one at each end of the ox).

The table cell that the box had been placed in front of was selected, and its style set to 'no fill' to remove the default grey fill assigned by Numbers to header row cells.

Note that the box is not part of, nor is it attached to or grouped with the table. It, and the similar box with white text and no borders, is placed in front of the table and positioned in front of the cell that (in the first screen shot above) it appears to be 'in'. If the table is moved, neither box will move with it, and manual realignment will be required.

To insert a text box into the document, click the Text button seen here in the tool bar above the document window.The box is inserted as the frontmost object on the sheet, and may be in a blank are of the sheet or in front of another object (most likely the table). It can be moved like any other object, by dragging it with the pointer of by using the arrow keys while the object is selected.

After inserting the box, move it to a convenient place, enter the text, remove the borders, and resize the box to fit the width of the cell that will be behind it. Then, with the box selected, move it into place and click elsewhere to deselect the box and leave it in place.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 11:44 AM in response to bjcas333

Here's another screen shot showing the same table as above.

I've moved one of the text boxes, reset its rotation to 0°, and returned it to more or less its initial state to make it easier to see. that it is not part of the table. The box is selected (note the two handles, one at each end of the ox).

The table cell that the box had been placed in front of was selected, and its style set to 'no fill' to remove the default grey fill assigned by Numbers to header row cells.

Note that the box is not part of, nor is it attached to or grouped with the table. It, and the similar box with white text and no borders, is placed in front of the table and positioned in front of the cell that (in the first screen shot above) it appears to be 'in'. If the table is moved, neither box will move with it, and manual realignment will be required.

To insert a text box into the document, click the Text button seen here in the tool bar above the document window.The box is inserted as the frontmost object on the sheet, and may be in a blank are of the sheet or in front of another object (most likely the table). It can be moved like any other object, by dragging it with the pointer of by using the arrow keys while the object is selected.

After inserting the box, move it to a convenient place, enter the text, remove the borders, and resize the box to fit the width of the cell that will be behind it. Then, with the box selected, move it into place and click elsewhere to deselect the box and leave it in place.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 9, 2021 10:06 AM in response to bjcas333

In the other thread where you posted the very same question I explained (twice) that Numbers does not allow rotation of text in a cell.

That's true whether the text is in a cell in a body row or in a cell in a header row. Unlike in Excel, you cannot rotate it.

You cannot rotate text in a cell.

You can insert a text box as explained here and rotate text in that.

But you cannot rotate text in a cell.

If you are new to Numbers I highly recommend spending some time at Help > Numbers Help and studying the built-in templates at File > New in your menu.

SG

Aug 8, 2021 9:52 PM in response to bjcas333

Many objects placed on a sheet in Numbers, images and text boxes, for example, can be rotated, but charts and tables are not among them.

Nor is text in a cell.

To the best of my knowledge, text can be rotated in numbers only if that text is contained in a rotatable object, such as a Text Box or a Shape, or if it is an x axis label on a chart (graph).

The standard workaround used for column labels in a header row of a table has ben to place the text in Text boxes, then rotate the boxes and place then on (i.e. in front of) the cell that would contain the rext.

In the two examples above, the one on the left shows the cell filled withthe default grey of a Header row of Header column cell, the text in the rotated text box set to Bold, with the text colour set to White.

The second text box contains the same text, left in the default colour (Black) and set to Bold. The cell, in this case has had its colour fill removed (set to No Fill).

Both text boxes have Borders set to None.

While the workaround works for a relatively stable table, any change in column width or height may require adjustment in width or height of each of the boxes holding the 'rotated' text labels.

Gaining the ability to actully rotate the text in these cells would require changes to the software itself, something that is outside the purview of these user to user communities.

To let Apple know that you thinkthis would be a useful improvement in Numbers, you can use the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu to make a Feature Enhancement Request. Feedback messages go directly to Apple.

Messages n this community are read by and responded to by users like yourself.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 9, 2021 8:49 AM in response to Barry

Thank you Barry, You gave very good information about what is possible on a table. But you over estimated my ability with Numbers. Can you tell me exactly how to move the text box to the header row in a way that it can be rotated. AND how to rotate it. I did put some words into a text cell (is that the same as a text box?) and drag it to the header row. But when I got it there, I could not rotate it. I did go to the rotate button in the arrange dropdown. It did not rotate. The example you gave of what is possible is exactly what I want to do.

I purchased this MacBook Air last November. I was very fluent in Microsoft products, but I want to learn to do it with this devise. I did not plan to buy an Apple computer, I was lead there by a sales person in Best Buy. The learning curve has been steep and frustrating. But I am finally happy with the computer.

I complement you for our teaching skills. What you told me is very easy to understand. I just need more help.

numbers table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.