Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BigSur 11.5.1 kernel panic overnight?

I am on BigSur 11.5.1 , MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). This is Intel CPU not M1

I've rebuilt this machine from scratch 2X already after soliciting advice from Apple Support. "From Scratch" == step 7 in this link: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

I do connect this MBP to an external dock (CalDigit TS3 plus). If I leave my apps running overnight, about 70% of the time, I wake up in the morning and the machine crashed with a kernel panic.

if I exit all apps and let it sleep gracefully overnight, everything (usually) seems OK.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I found other threads that speak to the same problem from another site. (MBP Kernel Panics Overnight Every Night | MacRumors Forums)

I am about to head into an Apple Store later this week for diagnosis but I thought I could check here and maybe save me a trip to the store.

NOTE: Catalina didn't seem to have this issue

Thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 6:11 AM

sea22-395 wrote:

I am on BigSur 11.5.1 , MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). This is Intel CPU not M1

I do connect this MBP to an external dock (CalDigit TS3 plus). If I leave my apps running overnight, about 70% of the time, I wake up in the morning and the machine crashed with a kernel panic.

if I exit all apps and let it sleep gracefully overnight, everything (usually) seems OK.

I would at least test without the external dock.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 6:11 AM in response to sea22-395

sea22-395 wrote:

I would at least test without the external dock.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

BigSur 11.5.1 kernel panic overnight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.