Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download item please try again later

I keep getting the error pop up that states “Unable to download Item, please try again later” options of “done or retry”.

I have researched everything I can and gone through all settings to no avail. Only I haven’t done is a full restore. I have:

• checked App Store for updates
  • toggled automatic updates on and off
  • toggled all updates between cellular and WiFi
  • Checked music and iTunes
  • checked updates of software (running 14.7.1)
  • turned off background app refresh and turned on. Restarted phone every time

older threads talk about putting it into airplane mode when error screen pops up but that is not an option here. Only allows you to select “done or retry”

anyone have any suggestions? Experiencing the same thing? Anything? Without having to update phones.

thanks in advance

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2022 5:13 PM

It was because my iPod was trying to update to the latest version of some apps, which weren't compatible with the iOS of the older device. I also turned of app updates to prevent this in the future:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap App Store.
  3. Turn off App Updates.

Similar questions

309 replies

Aug 22, 2021 9:55 PM in response to abigailfromcanby

abigailfromcanby Said:

"I have this problem too. Retry and closing all apps didn’t work."

-------

Look into Clearing Space:

There may be something taking up lots of system resources. So, try clearing internal storage though use of the following:

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Also..

C. Clear "Other":

Clear the storages named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use. So, clearing other may be the way to go about this, as it would be performs through use of a computer.

Sep 30, 2021 5:37 PM in response to bmwood

I’ve been having the same problem for about the last month and a half. I have no idea why it’s happening. Not trying to download anything. It just seems to be completely random. It usually happens when I open an app I haven’t been using for a period of time. It’s annoying AF. I was googling it tonight and came across your post. Hopefully someone comes here with a good solution.

Aug 9, 2021 10:53 PM in response to bmwood

bmwood Said:

"Unable to download item please try again later: I’m not trying to download anything that’s the problem. Just randomly occurs whenever it feels like. Literally no rhyme or reason. I can’t pin any patterns or reasons why the phone would be displaying this message"

-------

Close all the Apps:

Tap the Home Button, and swipe your finger to the top. The app will close.

Oct 9, 2021 8:18 AM in response to bmwood

I tried getting rid of any apps that I wasn’t using. I went to the apple store to see my downloads nothing there was stuck. I wiped out and restored my phone. I have closed and opened all apps I have rebooted the phone. I notice it ALWAY pops up when I first turn on the phone or after rebooting. It also pops up on music or photos. It also pops up when I am trying to read email. I am ready to quit apple over this crap

Aug 9, 2021 10:25 PM in response to bmwood

bmwood Said:

"Unable to download item please try again later: I keep getting the error pop up that states 'Unable to download Item, please try again later”'options of 'done or retry'. I have researched everything I can and gone through all settings to no avail[...]"

-------

Try this Again Later:

Do as instructed and "try again later". Perhaps the server is too busy at this time?

Oct 3, 2021 2:07 AM in response to bmwood

I’ve been getting this for some months now, using an iPad I only bought this year, and still happening despite now using the latest update to iOS 14. I never experienced this problem until this year, despite using iPads since before 2012. Like other users, I’m not trying to download anything when the message appears. The only (temporary) solution seems to be to hit “Done” since the screen and Home button are locked until one does that, so any other fix at the point of occurrence seems impossible.

The problem surely can’t be related to lack of available space on the iPad, because I have a 128Gb version with loads of free space at present?

This issue, which it would seem from a web search, has been around for years, is most frustrating. Can Apple really do no better than this?

Oct 7, 2021 8:53 PM in response to bmwood

Have had this same issue for months on an 11 Pro Max. I have restarted fresh and from an icloud backup with no luck. I've tried everything in this thread too. Deleting/clearing hasn't helped. Relogging into icloud hasn't helped. Happens a lot in my most frequent apps, especially around photos. Really wish Apple would catch and patch this. Software developer and ex QA, and I've tried a lot to get this to go away

Jan 23, 2022 8:20 AM in response to cjags

This article does not fix anything. The “Unable to Download Retry” error message occurs after purchasing certain music or media from iTunes. The way to remedy this annoying problem is :

1. Download iMazing Software to a desktop computer

2. Open iMazing

3. Click Free Trial

4. Connect iPad or iPhone to your desktop

4. Find the File System Folder on iMazing for your connectediOS device.

5. Open the Download Folder, I think it’s under System

6. Open any media and Camera subfolders

7. Delete any files that have squib.lte in the name

8. The End

Copied from https://osxdaily.com/2015/05/20/fix-unable-to-download-item-please-try-again-error-ios/

Verified this fixed the issue for me, don’t buy a new phone to solve their bug!

Unable to download item please try again later

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.