Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 big sur crashes like windows

I bought an M1 mac book air after few years of having a mac book pro. The decrease in quality is significant (and also the increase in price). Not only I need to have ridiculous hubs to connect any normal device, but also it crashes very often when I work on two monitors. The system is also filled with minor bugs. Working on it doesn't differ much from working on a Windows computer. I'm totally disappointed. Can I get my money back? What do I need to do?

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 12:03 PM

Suvo.vb wrote:
.... Not only I need to have ridiculous hubs to connect any normal device, but also it crashes very often when I work on two monitors. ....

The M1 MacBook Air only supports one external monitor. From the spec:

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

If your are using two monitors via some hack or other method, it is no wonder you are having issues.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 12:03 PM in response to Suvo.vb

Suvo.vb wrote:
.... Not only I need to have ridiculous hubs to connect any normal device, but also it crashes very often when I work on two monitors. ....

The M1 MacBook Air only supports one external monitor. From the spec:

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

If your are using two monitors via some hack or other method, it is no wonder you are having issues.

Aug 10, 2021 1:44 PM in response to Suvo.vb

User wrote " it crashes very often when I work on two monitors. " so the question is which is true and which is false ?

As for hubs to connect things and the other complaints - had the user done their due diligence on what this computer specifications were, how may usb-c ports etc. and just what it designed to perform like - we would not have this discussion on disliking the computer.

If under the 14 Day Return Policy - no questions asked - proceed and return for full refund

Aug 14, 2021 8:38 PM in response to Suvo.vb

you wrote that,

"crashes very often when I work on two monitors"

apple clearly states that MacBooks with the M1 only has support for 1 external display up-to 6k res, so if you're using display link adapters which aren't recommended by apple, no wonder your system crashes.

"The system is also filled with minor bugs. Working on it doesn't differ much from working on a Windows computer. I'm totally disappointed."

I'm surprised that you didn't encounter any bugs on your previous MacBook Pro since you already used it for few years. I've used Windows for more than 10 years and compared to that macOS has significantly less bugs. And when I made the switch to M1 I seem to love it. And keep your Mac updated, every updated comes with bug fixes and solves a lot of issues.

Aug 15, 2021 12:11 PM in response to Suvo.vb

Suvo.vb wrote:

....Not only I need to have ridiculous hubs to connect any normal device,..

Did you not check the specs before buying?

..it crashes very often when I work on two monitors..

What is the make and model of the monitor?

How are you connecting the monitor?

What connection options are on the monitor?

How do you have the monitor configured in macOS?

What applications are running when you have these crashes?

Have you installed any antivirus, "speed up", "cleanup", optimizing" apps?

...The system is also filled with minor bugs...

What are all these "minor bugs" you are talking about?

Are all your apps compatible with not just the M1 but with Big Sur As well?

I use a recently purchased external 4K display with my M1 MacBook Air without any issues at all and before that had an old Apple Thunderbolt display in use from day one (late November). My system has run solid and without issue from day one and doing much more than just email checking and browsing (advanced photo processing, embedded hardware code development, some software development, etc.)

M1 big sur crashes like windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.