Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad - Downloading Messages from iCloud not working

Turned on iPad Messages in iCloud after doing the same on an iPhone, and while viewing online iCloud (Safari MacBook Pro) after Uploading from iPhone, it says there should be about 48MB ("Settings" shows Storage Usage), but:

While in Messages on iPad it does show "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." at the very bottom of the Messages list on the left with a gray line that looks to be pretty far along if that is a progress bar. However that goes away after several minutes, and while maybe 20 Messages or so were downloaded initially (out of probably hundreds), but none since. All the "restarting" of the downloading in the world doesn't get more Messages to show up on the iPad.

The only way I've found I can "restart" the downloading is in Apple ID/iCloud (on the iPad in Settings) - to turn off Messages as an App Using iCloud, tap "Disable and Download Messages" in the alert since it warns that not all messages have been downloaded, then turn Messages On again for iCloud.

Does anyone know if indeed though the "Downloading Messages from iCloud..." and possible progress gray line, the downloading is still going on once that info at the bottom of Messages disappears? Perhaps my "restart" method to get the "Downloading..." message back at the bottom of the Messages list is actually making it start over every time? Just leaving it after the Downloading message disappears for a long long time does not yield more Messages or higher iPad Storage usage for Messages...

Again, no new Messages ever show up, and the General/iPad Storage for Messenger seems to come back different every time - sometimes higher, sometimes lower - though tapping the MB amount (6ishMBs to 9ishMBs) does show "Documents & Data as the same as on the previous screen, but below "DOCUMENTS" a tally shows Photos at 36MB, Videos at 6.1MB, and "Other" at 152KB, and those tallies do not change. (Possibly just numbers returned from iCloud about what should be downloaded - tapping any of them does not show any Photos or Videos, etc.)

Full disclosure: We live in a cabin in Yosemite National Park and the DSL internet speed barely hovers above 5 or 6MBS.

Other trouble-shooting: Sending both an iMessage and plain text (logged out of iMessage on my phone for the plain text) to the account the iPad is associated with in iCloud do not come through to Messages on the iPad. (I've got the iPad logged in now to my 93 year old dad's Apple account - his name is "Apple" too - and all this effort is to try to clean years of junk Messages off his new iPhone that got transferred over from an AT&T phone - which for some reason do not get removed the normal way, which is to change the Keep Messages to "30 Days" in his settings and tap the Yes, Delete them. Years' worth still remain, and are clearly "click bait" and worse since he never even looked at Text Messaging before...)

I'm trying to get it in my court to painstakingly select all the messages and delete them then have them gone from his iPhone via iCloud syncing. Trying to walk him through (via phone) removing all those Messages on his iPhone is kind of a non-starter. Edit/Select All sure would be good, but alas - maybe in iOS 15?

Any hints or pointers appreciated!

Rich Apple

(iPad 8th Generation, Wifi only, iOS 14.7.1, but for some reason that was not available from pull down list, so chose 6th Generation.)

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 1:26 PM

The "How to use iCloud" for Messages was kind of helpful, but it was what I already knew and was trying to accomplish. I did finally have success and was able to use Messages in iCloud on my iPad to delete all of my 93 year old dad's old messages, but I think this apparent failure of iCloud to sync all the messages to my iPad to let me do that (delete all of 'em and then sync the deletes to his iPhone) was a red herring. Rather than the hundreds of messages I expected, he actually only had 30 or so.

All good, and thanks any and all for the help!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2021 1:26 PM in response to mario49

The "How to use iCloud" for Messages was kind of helpful, but it was what I already knew and was trying to accomplish. I did finally have success and was able to use Messages in iCloud on my iPad to delete all of my 93 year old dad's old messages, but I think this apparent failure of iCloud to sync all the messages to my iPad to let me do that (delete all of 'em and then sync the deletes to his iPhone) was a red herring. Rather than the hundreds of messages I expected, he actually only had 30 or so.

All good, and thanks any and all for the help!

Aug 11, 2021 12:47 PM in response to Rich Apple

Hi Rich Apple,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We are happy to help with the issue you are having with not being able to sync your iCloud messages. First of all, in order for iCloud messages to sync, you want to verify that are using the same Apple ID on all devices. You also want to make sure that each device is receiving iMessages. "iCloud keeps your entire message history updated and available on all your devices, even when you set up a brand-new device." Messages that are not already on both devices, will not sync to other devices, if iCloud sync is turned on after those messages have been sent. This only pertains to iMessages, not SMS. Check out Use Messages in iCloud for details.

"When you delete a message, photo, or conversation on one device, it’s removed from all of your devices."

Also, "Although your messages are stored in iCloud, you can’t see them on iCloud.com." Check out details in Store messages in iCloud.

Hope that helps!

iPad - Downloading Messages from iCloud not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.