Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay Stops working in 2019 VW Jetta. Get message "Apple iPhone connection was canceled"

Every week or so the Apple CarPlay in my 2019 VW Jetta stops working due to the phone failing to connect via the USB cable. I get the message "Apple iPhone connection was canceled".

• Tried multiple phones and got the same message.
  • Tried resetting the factory settings on the VW media system for the App Connect (Settings -> Factory Settings -> App Connect)
  • Powered off car and back on
  • Powered down phone and restarted
  • Made sure Siri was enabled
  • Made sure the enable CarPlay when locked slider was set to enabled
  • Deleted the Car from the iPhone CarPlay settings
  • Was using a genuine Apple lightning to USB cable

I switched to another Apple cable that I had and it is now working again. But I did this same thing two weeks ago when I had the issue and switched to the cable that I just removed. Both cables are in good condition. Had a new third party cable in there that worked for two months and then had this issue.

So it seems after some time the cable has to be swapped out for a different but not necessarily new one but I will keep monitoring the situation to see what gets it to work again. Anyone else having this inconsistency with the VW Jetta CarPlay?

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 10:15 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 11, 2021 5:01 PM in response to daehreppans

Hello daehreppans,

We understand that you're having an intermittent issue with CarPlay not connecting to your iPhone. You've completed some great steps to help resolve this. Take a look at the following guide for more helpful steps: If you need help with CarPlay

In addition to those steps, check the port that your iPhone connects to, as well as your iPhone port for dirt or debris. That can also cause odd connection issues. Check with your manufacturer on the best way to clean the car's port, but here's a great guide for your iPhone: Cleaning your iPhone

Let us know how it goes.

Take care.

Sep 8, 2021 9:37 PM in response to TammyW_03

Same intermittent thing happens to me with a 2017 Golf. Tried lots of things, but it keeps coming and going.

For example: yesterday no matter what I tried, plugging in the cable started the loop of trying... then "connection canceled". Restarted phone (of course latest iOS!), but nothing let it work. Gave up... went into the house. When I came out today, I plugged the phone in and ... it just worked.

I've found that pulling down the controls and temporarily turning off wifi tended to help (but not yesterday).

A guess: I have a VPN installed that activates only when connected to unknown wifi -- which surely is not happening, but thought just maybe having a VPN installed might be a factor. This has been happening for many many versions of iOS.

CarPlay Stops working in 2019 VW Jetta. Get message "Apple iPhone connection was canceled"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.