Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020) often freezes. How to fix it?

It's quite annoying when my MacBook is freezing for a few seconds and often it freezes so hard that all Bluetooth devices are disconnecting. It happens when I work in ZBrush, Photoshop or Sketch. So not always it's loaded with heavy tasks. Do you know how to deal with this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it to freeze?

On the screenshot, you can see when it freezes these red dots are piling up.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 8:11 AM

DocZoidberg wrote:

It's quite annoying when my MacBook is freezing for a few seconds and often it freezes so hard that all Bluetooth devices are disconnecting. It happens when I work in ZBrush, Photoshop or Sketch. So not always it's loaded with heavy tasks. Do you know how to deal with this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it to freeze?

I would suggest Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus all known to cause issues.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2021 8:11 AM in response to DocZoidberg

DocZoidberg wrote:

I would suggest Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus all known to cause issues.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

My MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020) often freezes. How to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.