Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV audio/video sync issues

Lately I’ve been having difficulty with lagging audio to video syncing with my Apple TV 4K. If I restart it, the problem is temporarily fixed, but after about 5 minutes of watching Netflix or hbo now, the audio will start lagging. This doesn’t typically occur with Disney plus or streaming movies from iTunes. Once the audio starts to lag with the service, it continues to lag once I exit the app. The sounds you hear when hovering over different apps lags significantly. Again, this is only fixed by resetting the Apple TV. I have run Netflix through my (smart) TV and had no problems with audio (it’s the same TV I have the Apple TV connected to). I’ve also ensured my internet connection/speed is good (>300Mbs), and have tried connecting my Apple TV to my router via Ethernet cable, with no improvement. This problem has been present for months but has gotten significantly worse recently. Changing between audio formats doesn’t do anything (a suggestion I saw when researching the topic). Please help.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 4:52 AM

I just updated my Apple TV 4K and this same thing started happening to me today. Watched two Netfix movies last night with no issues, but tonight the sound streams to my airplay Bose speakers ahead of the video. Also, my picture is slightly glitchy. When I change to TV speaker (which runs through HDMI cable) sound is perfectly synced with video and no more glitch. Again, this was NOT an issue until my Apple TV updated. This doesn't look like a fluke. It looks like a BAD UPGRADE. PLEASE FIX ASAP!

Similar questions

120 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 4:52 AM in response to Ccastle84

I just updated my Apple TV 4K and this same thing started happening to me today. Watched two Netfix movies last night with no issues, but tonight the sound streams to my airplay Bose speakers ahead of the video. Also, my picture is slightly glitchy. When I change to TV speaker (which runs through HDMI cable) sound is perfectly synced with video and no more glitch. Again, this was NOT an issue until my Apple TV updated. This doesn't look like a fluke. It looks like a BAD UPGRADE. PLEASE FIX ASAP!

Aug 13, 2021 9:15 PM in response to Ali_E1

I have tried all of your suggestions without any improvement. Typically I make it a few minutes into a show before it starts.

Again, this seems to happen most frequently with Netflix and HBO Now. What is odd to me is that once the audio/visual goes out of synch during a show, it stays out of sync when I exit the application. This doesn’t correct itself until I restart the Apple TV.

I have verified that my internet and television are not the problem (the same show on Netflix works fine streaming through my television alone).

Any other ideas? Is there a software update coming anytime soon?

Aug 12, 2021 4:25 PM in response to Ccastle84

Hello, Ccastle84.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you’re experiencing an audio sync issue with your Apple TV, and you’ve already tried some excellent troubleshooting. 

First, make sure you’re running the latest tvOS version on your Apple TV.

Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Then we suggest checking the audio settings on your Apple TV. For example, your Apple TV should automatically select the highest quality audio compatible with your television, but it may not be compatible with all the content you’re watching. 

Check Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format > Change Format and test with both Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1. Does one sound better than the other?

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

Oct 9, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Ali_E1

I am having the same issues with the NEW Apple TV. lagging after watching for a few minutes, however, may lagging occurs on YouTube TV and other apps. I have been a big supporter of Apple TV but if this lagging is not corrected I will have to change hardware, which is a lot since I have two homes. What is Apple doing to try and fix this problem?

Aug 22, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Ccastle84

Ccastle84,

We aren't really able to speculate about upcoming tvOS releases. We learn about Apple software updates as they're released, too. 

Apps are engineered for the devices where they're downloaded, so you may have different settings or performance for each. For example, the Netflix app may work differently when downloaded directly on your Smart TV than it does when downloaded on your Apple TV, or it may require various settings to be customized to optimize performance through that device. 

Have you had a chance to try and calibrate the audio using the Apple TV app on your iPhone? These articles explain:

Use Apple TV to play audio throughout your home - Apple Support

Adjust video and audio settings on Apple TV - Apple Support

Still experiencing audio latency? You might try to reach out to Netflix or HBO to see if there are settings within the app that need to be adjusted.

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2021 6:36 PM in response to Ccastle84

I have the same issues on almost all my streaming apps recently. Hasn’t been a problem in the past. I’d say the issue started about 2 months ago. Restarting Apple TV fixes the issue temporarily. This thread leaves me to believe it’s not just my tv. I have an LG CX model and work in the AV industry. I’m hesitating recommending this to my clients as I will be dealing with service calls all the time.

Oct 9, 2021 11:52 AM in response to sandlerb

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they are doing much. You can see their response to me originally was to tell me to do something that I had already tried and not had success with.

To get very specific, shows like Star Trek DS9 (Netflix) and John Oliver (HBO) go out is sync almost immediately. Any live streaming app also. Newer shows and movies go out of sync less frequently. I have no problems with streaming directly through the TV (LG CX). I think this is my last apple TV.

Oct 9, 2021 9:07 PM in response to Ccastle84

Agreed!- Roku or Fire?

Very disappointed with my new Macbook Air (2020 - intel chip) also. Got 16gb and highest rated processor and it under-performs my old 2012 Macbook Air. My old Apple TV was much more reliable also.

How are System76/Ubuntu laptops performing these days? I may even jump back over to a Windows system. Heck, I can buy a Windows laptop and a tablet PC for the price of my Air...Hmmm

Sorry to see this. I really liked my 6 other Apple computers. I guess all good things come to an end.

Oct 10, 2021 10:01 AM in response to Ccastle84

I have the exact same issue today is October 10, 2021. It’s been like this for about two weeks. I don’t even like watching it. If this keeps happening I’m going to switch to a more reliable device. I hope apple does something soon. I’ve never had issues like this before two weeks ago. I’m glad my tv has most of the same apps I use on Apple TV. Although some are not available. I hope a fix is found.

Apple TV audio/video sync issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.