Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers

Hi there. I have a new MacBook Air that just doesn't seem capable of connection to my 5.1 speaker set up. When I connect it to television via HDMI, it identifies the connection (it identifies my Marantz amplifier) but will only give me a stereo output option in 'Midid setup.'. If I try this on my nine year old MacBook Pro through the same HDMI connection, it identifies the connection as 'HDMI' and provides a 5.1 option in the dropdown output options in midi setup.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 5:00 PM

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Thanks for the response. When I run the above report it is only recognising stereo speakers in the amp, as per the attached screenshot."

-------

You are welcome.

Apparently, it is seen***

So, contact the Manufacturer: Marantz

Go Here: https://www.marantz.com/contactus/contact

***Screenshot:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2021 5:00 PM in response to shameusf

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Thanks for the response. When I run the above report it is only recognising stereo speakers in the amp, as per the attached screenshot."

-------

You are welcome.

Apparently, it is seen***

So, contact the Manufacturer: Marantz

Go Here: https://www.marantz.com/contactus/contact

***Screenshot:

Aug 23, 2021 12:47 AM in response to shameusf

shameusf Said:

"Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers: Hi there. I have a new MacBook Air that just doesn't seem capable of connection to my 5.1 speaker set up. When I connect it to television via HDMI, it identifies the connection (it identifies my Marantz amplifier) but will only give me a stereo output option in 'Midid setup.'.[...]"

-------

Verify the Connection:

First off, see if the headphones are is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Choose: System Information or System Report
  4. Select: Audio from the list on the left
  5. Look For: any internal or external speakers

Can't connect new MacBook Air to 5.1 speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.