Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.4 to 11.5.2 taking very long time

2 hours and counting...

2020 13" MacBook Pro Intel chip currently on 11.4. I just kicked off the 11.5.2 update and it's been several hours and still not complete, even though it shows 10 minutes to complete (and has since the start of the update). No other apps open. I've closed every app and background app that I can, except for Sophos. Activity Monitor is showing the update consuming 100% CPU.

I've had cold full macOS installs take less time than this.

I've never had a minor update take this long.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 9:21 AM

I uninstalled Sophos and rebooted / restarted the install and sure enough it completed in a reasonable timeframe (about 20 minutes).

Problem solved.

However it has left me with this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach for uninstalled an independent AV tool on my laptop. I've seen nothing but mixed signals about whether or not MacBooks need independent anti-malware on them.

This seems to be a quasi-religious topic in the Mac community.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 9:21 AM in response to leroydouglas

I uninstalled Sophos and rebooted / restarted the install and sure enough it completed in a reasonable timeframe (about 20 minutes).

Problem solved.

However it has left me with this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach for uninstalled an independent AV tool on my laptop. I've seen nothing but mixed signals about whether or not MacBooks need independent anti-malware on them.

This seems to be a quasi-religious topic in the Mac community.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Aug 12, 2021 5:58 AM in response to crwhiting

crwhiting wrote:

2 hours and counting...

2020 13" MacBook Pro Intel chip currently on 11.4. I just kicked off the 11.5.2 update and it's been several hours and still not complete, even though it shows 10 minutes to complete (and has since the start of the update). No other apps open. I've closed every app and background app that I can, except for Sophos. Activity Monitor is showing the update consuming 100% CPU.

I've had cold full macOS installs take less time than this.
I've never had a minor update take this long.

I would suggest you uninstall Sophos AV and try again.

Third party AV is not recommended— it typically does nothing but add issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apples own built in security:

macOS - Security - Apple https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Apple Platform Security - Apple https://support.apple.com/guide/security/welcome/web

11.4 to 11.5.2 taking very long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.