Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

softwareupdated and SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager keep running and occupy >200% CPU

Hi Apple Help desk and all,

I'm using macOS Monterey 12.5 on Mac 16" 2019 (running Intel i9). softwareupdated and SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager keep running almost all the time. And they occupy together more than 200% CPU. Sometimes, moving mouse cursor is interrupted because of those two processes. Macbook drains battery very soon. I have to plug the AC charger almost all the time and the laptop is really hot, very uncomfortable to use.

I wonder whether it is common for other users and how to stop this from happen? I did un-tick all options in Software Update setting (no check or automatic update any more)

Thanks for every response and solution to solve this problem!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 4:12 AM

No issues here and running several Apple Computer all running Monterey 12.5

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 4:12 AM in response to thanh3f

No issues here and running several Apple Computer all running Monterey 12.5

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Aug 8, 2022 4:18 AM in response to thanh3f

Sometimes certain process use inordinate amounts of resources for a short time. That usually corrects itself.

If you system is operating as expected, you can safely ignore the metric.

The problems you are stating would not seem to be a result of the momentary uptick in CPU usage on a healthy machine.

I suggest you download and run Etrecheck from https://etrecheck.com/. It's safe and free and will analyze your system. You need to allow full access.

Addendum: If safe mode works, there's little need to run etrecheck.

Once you run the app, post the full results here using the "Additional Text" icon.

softwareupdated and SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager keep running and occupy >200% CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.