Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to unplug the HDMI external monitor when I turn off my Macbook Pro 2015?

Does the HDMI monitor consume power (monitor is turned off as well) from the laptop when it is plugged in while the laptop is put to sleep (clamshell mode)?

Reason I asked this is that the HDMI cable has a small LED to show that it is connected and when both monitor and laptop is turned off the LED is still lit. Only way to turn off the LED is to unplug the HDMI cable hence no power going through the cable.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 9:42 AM

LEDs typically draw 15-20 mA current. If you are leaving the power cable connected to the MBP, even when it is powered off, it can draw current (What is Power Nap on Mac? - Apple Support). If you are concerned about the small battery drain, you should disconnect the HDMI cable from the MBP, when it is powered off. If you are not, then leave the cable connected to the MBP and let the LED be powered by the small current drawn by the HDMI connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Direwolf7

LEDs typically draw 15-20 mA current. If you are leaving the power cable connected to the MBP, even when it is powered off, it can draw current (What is Power Nap on Mac? - Apple Support). If you are concerned about the small battery drain, you should disconnect the HDMI cable from the MBP, when it is powered off. If you are not, then leave the cable connected to the MBP and let the LED be powered by the small current drawn by the HDMI connection.

Aug 12, 2021 8:23 AM in response to Direwolf7

HDMI has a set of standards which come under HDMI-CEC (Customer Equipment Control). This allows HDMI-connected devices be powered on when one device is powered on. For example, an Apple TV can use CEC to turn on the TV, if the TV supports it. Apple TV remote can also control the TV volumes, etc.,.

From Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support,

Mac computers don't support using CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) to control HDMI devices.

The LED should indicate 'standby' mode for such signaling.

To answer your specific question, power to the monitor is independent of the CEC. However, for CEC to work, the monitor must have a power source.

Aug 12, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the prompt feedback. Basically I want to know if I need to unplug the HDMI cable from the HDMI port on my MBP each time I turn off the MBP. If I leave it plugged in will it still be drawing power from the MBP while the monitor and MBP is turned off (or in the case of the MBP is put to sleep or clamshell mode). Because I am worried if I have to plug and unplug the HDMI cable each time I use the MBP eventually the HDMI port will give way from wear and tear.

Do I need to unplug the HDMI external monitor when I turn off my Macbook Pro 2015?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.