Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration from 2011 Macbook Pro to 2020 Macbook Pro

I am trying to migrate my applications and files from my late 2011 Macbook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6) to my new 2020 Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2 using migration assistant. They are both connected to the same wifi network, I go through and select what I want copied, and tell it to go. The old computer says it is looking for files to copy, the new computer says how many files have been copied--0. I have waited hours (3 - 4) and it still says the same thing--zero files copied. I thought I would try it by connecting the two, but the thunderport 3 wire to usb doesn't result in the computers seeing each other. I did this twice, thinking the first time it just got stuck. This morning, I thought I would just try copying the apps over, and not the files, as I do have a large amount of data. I left it for 2+ hours and ended up with the same thing--0 apps copied to the new computer and the old computers saying it is looking for files to copy. I have several apps that I don't have the information for to do a clean install (like adobe acrobat pro, which I got from a school I taught at 8 years ago and am no longer associated with, so I can't email adobe with the email I used to set up the app because I no longer have the email!).

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 7:48 AM

karifrommo wrote:

I am trying to migrate my applications and files from my late 2011 Macbook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6) to my new 2020 Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.5.2 using migration assistant. They are both connected to the same wifi network, I go through and select what I want copied, and tell it to go. The old computer says it is looking for files to copy, the new computer says how many files have been copied--0. I have waited hours (3 - 4) and it still says the same thing--zero files copied. I thought I would try it by connecting the two, but the thunderport 3 wire to usb doesn't result in the computers seeing each other. I did this twice, thinking the first time it just got stuck. This morning, I thought I would just try copying the apps over, and not the files, as I do have a large amount of data. I left it for 2+ hours and ended up with the same thing--0 apps copied to the new computer and the old computers saying it is looking for files to copy. I have several apps that I don't have the information for to do a clean install (like adobe acrobat pro, which I got from a school I taught at 8 years ago and am no longer associated with, so I can't email adobe with the email I used to set up the app because I no longer have the email!).

Any suggestions?

You are always better off using a cabled connection, WiFi is slowest and most problematic method.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

If that opportunity has past, the second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If necessary to get the correct cable connection out, you may need to use an external backup, Time Machine or bootclone.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2021 7:48 AM in response to karifrommo

karifrommo wrote:

Any suggestions?

You are always better off using a cabled connection, WiFi is slowest and most problematic method.

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

If that opportunity has past, the second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

If necessary to get the correct cable connection out, you may need to use an external backup, Time Machine or bootclone.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Migration from 2011 Macbook Pro to 2020 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.