Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant from MacBook retina 15 (2013) pro to macbook pro 2021 problems

Just got my new MacBook Pro 2021 M1 yesterday. I thought it would be easy to use the Migration Assistant....it's been a nightmare so far. I followed all the right things on both old and new Mac.

It worked for a while then it stopped. I tried 5 times. I even removed the "sleep" from my old Mac since that was happening.

No, didn't work. It goes to a certain # of files transferred, then stops.....

Please help.

Anita

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 9:52 PM

anitaandjoe Said:

"migration assistant from MacBook retina 15 (2013) pro to macbook pro 2021 problems: Just got my new MacBook Pro 2021 M1 yesterday. I thought it would be easy to use the Migration Assistant....it's been a nightmare so far. I followed all the right things on both old and new Mac."

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Boot Safe Mode.

When you boot in Safe Mode, login items do not open at log in, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files (i.e. caches) are fixed. To boot up in Safe Mode [Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. So, on both Macs, boot into Safe Mode for 30 seconds, and then restart normally. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

and...

B. Use a New Admin User:

Create a new administrator on each machine for temporary use, and see if you can perform this with those user. Once all is installed, login to the normal user, and delete these users you just created for the transfer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 9:52 PM in response to anitaandjoe

anitaandjoe Said:

"migration assistant from MacBook retina 15 (2013) pro to macbook pro 2021 problems: Just got my new MacBook Pro 2021 M1 yesterday. I thought it would be easy to use the Migration Assistant....it's been a nightmare so far. I followed all the right things on both old and new Mac."

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Boot Safe Mode.

When you boot in Safe Mode, login items do not open at log in, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files (i.e. caches) are fixed. To boot up in Safe Mode [Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. So, on both Macs, boot into Safe Mode for 30 seconds, and then restart normally. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

and...

B. Use a New Admin User:

Create a new administrator on each machine for temporary use, and see if you can perform this with those user. Once all is installed, login to the normal user, and delete these users you just created for the transfer.

migration assistant from MacBook retina 15 (2013) pro to macbook pro 2021 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.