Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't print to Epson ET-2750 on Big Sur 11.5.2

I am going insane over this. Recently I upgraded to Big Sur 11.5.2 on my 2019 Macbook Pro. I regret it. Suddenly, my Epson ET-2750 printer disappeared. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have been through every trouble shooting step there is to add it back:

• restarting Mac, router and printer; including in safe mode
  • removing and attempting to re-add the printer in System Preferences (I get an "Unable to verify printer on the network due to an error" message, and if I continue anyway, I get "Unable to communicate with printer at this time");
  • reinstalled the latest drivers (Epson 10.85 - which now crashes before installation is complete - I have the error log if that helps anyone)
  • tried to add the printer using its IP address instead of Bonjour
  • Tried using a generic driver and Gutenprint
  • Reconnected the printer to the network, that's all working fine
  • Emailed Epson but no reply as yet

Interestingly, I also have a Macbook Air running Big Sur 11.2.3 and a slightly older driver (Epson 10.62) and it works fine...for now, as does AirPrinting from my iPhone or iPad.

What should I do? The Pro is my main computer and it's super annoying! I'm a law student, printing is essential! (Side rant: It's not like Apple makes printers, I don't know why this happens with third party hardware every time Apple updates its OS.)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 1:18 PM

Tonight I randomly, out of desperation, tried again to add my Printer.

And lo and behold, it worked without a hitch.

I note though that it now says "Driver Version 3.0" for the printer.,when it previously said 10.85. So I suspect either Apple or Epson has pushed an update...

Similar questions

15 replies

Aug 13, 2021 1:12 PM in response to missym14

Exact same problem with Epson XP-7100 after updating to Big Sur 11.5.2. I've tried deleting all the Epson software and reinstalling multiple times. Sometimes I'll also get a "bad file descriptor" error if I try to continue through the installation. No issues printing/scanning from my iPhone/iPad or my various Windows 10 machines.

Frustrating.

Aug 13, 2021 1:49 PM in response to PRP_53

Still not working. Although the 7100 shows up as a "Bonjour Multifunct" printer when I clck on the "+" button to add it, Trying either AirPrint or Secure AirPrint, the system tries to setup the printer then returns a "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Bad file descriptor" error.

I've tried resetting the print system, deleting all the Epson software, clearing the library cache, spinning a dead cat over my head 3 times, etc. but still getting the same errors.

Aug 13, 2021 6:16 PM in response to missym14

I got an email back from Epson. Unfortunately, it wasn't very helpful and in fact, some of the Mac config screens they mentioned were incorrect. I've provided them screenshots and a very detailed, step-by-step of the t-shooting I've done up to this point. (I did not bother to tell them about the cat since that's not an approved troubleshooting step in most states.)

My confidence level is low that this is going to get resolved without having to spend some hours on the phone with Epson and/or Apple.

Aug 16, 2021 4:45 AM in response to missym14

I've had a couple of back and forth emails with Epson support. As it stands now, it's still unresolved and Epson's recommendation is for me to call into Epson and t-shoot over the phone. Since their phone support line isn't available on weekends, I haven't been able to follow-up with them. I'll just revert to using my iPad or Windows machine for scanning and printing for the time being.

As far as not hearing back from Epson, check your junk mail. They replied back to me within a couple of hours but it had gotten flagged as junk and I only saw it because I have a habit of checking my JM folder from time to time.

Aug 18, 2021 8:18 AM in response to missym14

Thank you missym14! After seeing your post, I tried adding my XP7100 and voila! It was recognized and installed and printing is back to working. Because I really need the scanner, I went and redownloaded the complete Epson driver package and it again, failed. So I tried downloading just the scanning app and it installed correctly. However, when I went to use it, I got a "you don't have permissions..." error. Checking the executable in Finder, I noticed that "Everyone" only had Read access. I changed that to Read/Write and now it scans correctly.

I have no clue what changed. There was no change to my printer firmware nor any changes pushed out via Apple. It's these kinds of solutions I just have to chalk up to the "resolution fairy" paying me a visit while I slept. :-)

Can't print to Epson ET-2750 on Big Sur 11.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.